Discuss Klein Tools Holesaw Sets in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

For many years I just had el cheapo 20 and 25 screwfix hole saws.
What knackers them is metal, and I’d suggest a stepper bit and some QMax 20 and 25mm punches are an excellent investment. While slower to use you get a perfect hole every time. (Cutting fluid helps too)

Cone/stepper cutters are definitely worth the investment but hole saws should be considered as a consumable so I wouldn't be spending a fortune on them. Like any cutting tool they generally last as long as to how well you treat them. A cheap saw if treated well may last longer than an expensive saw that has been abused.

I have to say arm(and a l)eg are very good. Very fast cutting and spring ejection, Haven't found any saw even remotely as efficient as these. No matter what set of sizes you buy, every time you fit downlights you will have to go out and buy another size hence my vast collect of hole saws. Still need to buy on though with each downligh fitting.

I'm a fan of the hole punches...perfect holes every time, and of course there's no vibration involved if making a hole in a CU etc. Cone/steppers are a great buy too. For downlights in plasterboard ceilings I have a range of cheap Screwfix holesaws and they have lasted well. They are consumables, so not too expensive to replace as required. The smaller sizes are perfect for plumbing jobs too...better than punching a hole with a hammer, which seems to be the wetpants way...and ideal for passing conduit through.

I'm a fan of the hole punches...perfect holes every time, and of course there's no vibration involved if making a hole in a CU etc. Cone/steppers are a great buy too. For downlights in plasterboard ceilings I have a range of cheap Screwfix holesaws and they have lasted well. They are consumables, so not too expensive to replace as required. The smaller sizes are perfect for plumbing jobs too...better than punching a hole with a hammer, which seems to be the wetpants way...and ideal for passing conduit through.

I'm sold on the idea of punches, but still haven't bought one due to the slow process involved. For one or two holes at a time they'd be great, but far too slow for the work I generally do. I have those little armandaleg cutters for small jobs and stick with standard hole saws when large numbers of holes need to be cut.

While I'm fussy about quality for cutting steel, for plasterboard the main consideration is price and often that's Erbauer.

The hole punches are not that slow, once you get used to them...but then I've got nothing but time, so it doesn't really matter to me that I take a whole minute to punch a 20mm hole! Also, no need to deburr afterwards, and the surrounding paint doesn't get any damage. I do run my Noga round the hole anyway...that's another 15 seconds!

The hole punches are not that slow, once you get used to them...but then I've got nothing but time, so it doesn't really matter to me that I take a whole minute to punch a 20mm hole! Also, no need to deburr afterwards, and the surrounding paint doesn't get any damage. I do run my Noga round the hole anyway...that's another 15 seconds!
which hole puncher do you use?

Cheaper (including delivery) is this electricians set from Starrett. Fewer cutters, but all the main sizes you need, with two arbors. If you want to wait a few days, it might come at a bargain price (or might go for more).

Cheaper (including delivery) is this electricians set from Starrett. Fewer cutters, but all the main sizes you need, with two arbors. If you want to wait a few days, it might come at a bargain price (or might go for more).

That’s a good find. These are the dart ones:

Reply to Klein Tools Holesaw Sets in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net