Discuss lcd vs plasma ?? in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
looking to buy a 46" or 50" tv, I've bin looking at the differences between lcd and plasma and I dont know which one to buy. so to those who have got, or been looking to buy, which one do you prefer. the tv will be used for movies/tv and not gaming if anyone asks

regards luke

I have a Panasonic 50" plasma tv and its great for the price!

But, if you want to spend a bit more then go for the Pioneer PDPLX5090. Sheer class.

Most of the new ones now come with freesat which is freeview with HD channels.

The good thing about freesat is, its all on the same satellite that Sky use, so if you still have a used dish up (or a used one with a spare output on the dish LNB) then it hooks straight up!

Prices vary on the net a fair so its best to have a good look around.

There are some serious bargains to be had at the mo.

Apparently and i dont know exactly why but you should go for LCD under 32 inch and Plasma over 32inch. i have heard this from several people. I have a panasonic 32 inch lcd and its fantastic. Absolutly love it. If you get the choice go for the higher hertz models. Mine is 100hz and picture on most things is amazing. I hope not to bore you or try and tell you stuff you already know and i may not be that accurate but most tvs are 50 or 60hz. the 100hz tvs flash up a pitcure twice as often so things happen smoother/ quicker. As you said you wont be gaming on it so this may be of no benefit to you as i think the higher hertz makes it better for gaming.

Apparently and i dont know exactly why but you should go for LCD under 32 inch and Plasma over 32inch. i have heard this from several people. I have a panasonic 32 inch lcd and its fantastic. Absolutly love it. If you get the choice go for the higher hertz models. Mine is 100hz and picture on most things is amazing. I hope not to bore you or try and tell you stuff you already know and i may not be that accurate but most tvs are 50 or 60hz. the 100hz tvs flash up a pitcure twice as often so things happen smoother/ quicker. As you said you wont be gaming on it so this may be of no benefit to you as i think the higher hertz makes it better for gaming.

Primarily the manufacturers do not make LCD over 32 and plasma under 32.

Probably down to cost issues amongst other things.

ive got a 40" sony lcd and its fantastic!

i use it quite a lot for gaming so thats what made me go for a lcd, ive heard plasma is surpose to be a better picture on sky or digital and lcd better for gaming....dunno how true this is

im happy with my lcd though :)

Reply to lcd vs plasma ?? in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net