Discuss lead pipe in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

The last lead gas pipe I ever saw was the one I flaming well cut through!!!!

I had a battery circular saw and was cutting a floorboard for access, I'd set the depth and everything but some freak had actually routed the underside of the floorboard to make it sit flat!!!!!!!!:eek:

To this day I still dont know how I didn't take out half the street.

Apologies for meandering off thread a little.

You can`t bond to lead gas or water pipe - lead is too soft and "creeps" under load, the clip loosens and the possible arcing (in the even of a fault) could lead to a gas leak and explosion (or so the theory goes?).

You must either replace the lead pipe or a section of it to enable a secure connection for your bonding conductor.

Gas can be lead piping and doesnt have to be replaced unless it fails a tightness test
But if anything is changed on the gas then it has to all be replaced

the person I am doing the job for is changing the gas pipe to copper (so no problems there) but she wont pay to change the lead water pipe. I need this job be be perfect as I will show the NIC to hopefully be enrolled. should I carefully clamp a ec15 near to the stop cock or is it with in regs to bond at the kitchen where lead changes to copper

I think its when you connect copper to lead that the problems occur not the other way round?

I dont see any reason why you cannot bond on the closest copper pipe.

If the assessor asks why you didnt bond on the lead, then you have some good answers for him!

Last edited by a moderator:
You could get a blowtorch and some flux and solder and do a ballwipe like the RECs use on there lead cables but i have to agree that getting a bond on copper pipe is way to go:)

Reply to lead pipe in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock