Discuss Made redundant in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

L

lukese

hi people, been working for a fire alarm company for about six or seven years, did my apprentiship with them so all ive really ever known is fire alarms. getting made redundant on monday and have been lucky enough to get a job starting monday night as an electrictian on a london underground station. only thing is i havent done proper 'electrical' work since my AM2 so bit nervous about it all, been told i will have a few blokes under me also, could make or break me i guess! anyone got any experiance on working on the undergorund? i recon im either gonna be metal munching or pulling in cables so either way its nothing to major.

hi
Just relax and enjoy yourself ,it doesnt matter that you havent done the work before ,if you are an electrician you will soon pick it up ,start the job as you meen to go on ,get stuck in and be confident
good luck

yeah thats what im thinking, stay confident and dont be scared to ask questions. apprently they work on a sorta two week trial so if i last that ill be ok! just bought a book on conduit. its sold as the ultimate handbook and everyone should have a copy in there kit, illl read it and give a review tommorow, not sure about anyone else but im a bit rusty with conduit and take a while to get back into it so ill be living my first few bits the the old age rule of measure twice bend once!

ill keep ya updated on how i get on

yeah thats what im thinking, stay confident and dont be scared to ask questions. apprently they work on a sorta two week trial so if i last that ill be ok! just bought a book on conduit. its sold as the ultimate handbook and everyone should have a copy in there kit, illl read it and give a review tommorow, not sure about anyone else but im a bit rusty with conduit and take a while to get back into it so ill be living my first few bits the the old age rule of measure twice bend once!

ill keep ya updated on how i get on
hi
If you want to get the bend the right length every time ,remember ,mark the pipe where you want to bend it,put the measured bit thro the bender and use a square from back of the former to the mark and bend up hill,not that easy with 25mm pipe but always comes out the right length
have fun;)

You will pick it up. Just try to get on with everyone and dont rub folk up the wrong way.Ask peoples opinions and generally enjoy !

Rum is right about the conduit method, works a treat ! I was always crap at conduit till someone showed me that way !

You will pick it up. Just try to get on with everyone and dont rub folk up the wrong way.Ask peoples opinions and generally enjoy !

Rum is right about the conduit method, works a treat ! I was always crap at conduit till someone showed me that way !

Thats correct ,i always work accurate to about 1mm mark out using string line devide up fixing positions equally and centre pop all fixings before drilling and fix saddles first then bend the pipe to fit it gives a nice tight accurate job, dont put saddles to near or to far fron a set or box and try not to mark the pipe with the vise,
im rusty as well,so it might not work nowerdays:)

Reply to Made redundant in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net