Discuss Neon screwdrivers help!!!! in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

Sparky12021986

ok 2 part thread first is a question that i need to ask....

With regard to test equipment used by electricians state: Why the use of a screwdriver incorperating the use of a neon indicator, for verifying isolation does not comply with the requirements of GS 38...

THANKS....

and part 2 of this thread is to ask you all what is your views on the neon screwdriver as i have heard that a lot of people do not like them where as some others do like them...

where as some others do like them...

Really.... I don't know anyone that likes them, although I might give my exwife one as a present after I've stuck it in a bucket of water lol*

*DISCLAIMER.... I'm only joking, just in case the old bag electrocutes her self.... It weren't me officer!

one of the main reasons for not using them for testing purposes is that they rely on your body to provide an earth path. you are basically touching a live part of the installation through a resistor and neon. if they fail, dzzzz.

always wanted to be blond. now it's greying ( a bit, not much)

Ok here's one..... I've never used them - and don't intend to - but I bought a wera kraftform vde screwdriver set. If they are so dangerous, why do they include a neon?

I'm gonna remind ya,
Ive no intentions of using it so save ya lectures lol :p

Ok here's one..... I've never used them - and don't intend to - but I bought a wera kraftform vde screwdriver set. If they are so dangerous, why do they include a neon?

I'm gonna remind ya,
Ive no intentions of using it so save ya lectures lol :p

They include a neon because they cant even give them away so they force them on you.
But i was in CEF today and on the counter was a box of testers reduced from £1.99 to 99p thinking of getting a job lot and flogging them on here ......................to open air-fix paint pots OBVIOUSLY. ;)

another argument against using them on anything live is that they are not VDE .

The Wera one is actually quite good.....

Push and twist into a plaster board wall and depending how deep you go, you can a hole ready for a 5, 6 or 7mm rawl plugs, saves getting a drill out.

They used to be standard kit in the 1960s but I wouldn't use anything other than a proper voltage tester and proving unit nowadays.I don't really trust testers with filament lamps either.

They include a neon because they cant even give them away so they force them on you.
But i was in CEF today and on the counter was a box of testers reduced from £1.99 to 99p thinking of getting a job lot and flogging them on here ......................to open air-fix paint pots OBVIOUSLY. ;)

Looking at the recent post re British Gas I hope they don't find out about this just in case they decide to add it to the testing equipment that they issue!!!

Reply to Neon screwdrivers help!!!! in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net