Discuss Rats nest in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

K

Kensprint

I've just returned from a customer wanting some replacement lights and a couple of switching issues rectified. The attached picture tells its own story. Customer has been in house for 5 years and was unaware they had a 3ph supply or what it was. By the way this is an old 3 bedroom cottage out in the country. 3rd bedroom is part of an extension which is probably 15 years old. Any thought as to why a 3ph supply was installed?

Attachments

• Rats nest IMG_2145 - EletriciansForums.net
    IMG_2145.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 84
Last edited by a moderator:
May not be the reason in your case but in this area when farm houses had a supply installed often three phase was put in in order to allow power to be taken to the out bouildings. This accounts for some of the near suicidal wiring found on some farms round here.
Electric fence, we've got an electric shed wall!!!!!!:eek:

This is a small cottage which has never in the customers knowledge ever been a farm. This is the first old cottage I've come across in recent years which is not on a single phase TT. The supply comes from an overhead line and then underground, coming up in the old part of the house. Runs under the extension.

Hadn't thought about the possibility of growing Skunk!! They do think they are paying a lot for electricity though.

Last edited by a moderator:
There are no storage radiators and no evidence ie redundant wiring. The white meter is common in this area giving low(er) tariff between midnight and seven am.

I did a job on a 4 bed 150 year old cottage a couple of months ago which was 3 phase. Thought it may have been a guest house at some point.

The only guests in this house have been rats. A look around the loft space uncovered a whole mummified family of them. This cottage is small. It makes a modern 2 bed semi look large.

Told him i'm not prepared to do any work without a full PIR. Had quick walk round and found another wylex board upstairs. A quick check showed no cpc between it and main earth bond. Have a close look at the photo.

Good for you. People just do not realise how dire their installations are at times. This is gonna hurt him in the wallet!

Most people have no idea. My mother always believed that electricity could leak from sockets. From some of the installations I've seen i'm beginningb to think she had a point!!

Reply to Rats nest in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock