Discuss Sat Nav in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

can recommend the navman,has a neat feature that when you take a picture with it you can link that pic to the gps position if you want to return there.Has button for nearest petrol station and points of interest which is handy save going into menu.

had a packard bell and it was terrible, replaced it with tom tom and was blown away has speed limits, actual speed, journey time, eta and all matter of other stuff (bluetooth to phone, actually reads your texts to you, traffic announcements) bearing in mind how cheap these are now go for it mines a 520t

I got a ViaMichelin Satnav free when I took out a life insurance policy. Very surprised, in a nice way, at how good it is. Registered it and get offered free downloads and updates every now and again.
Now just need to know where the forum meet is going to be and I can get there.

I got a ViaMichelin Satnav free when I took out a life insurance policy. Very surprised, in a nice way, at how good it is. Registered it and get offered free downloads and updates every now and again.
Now just need to know where the forum meet is going to be and I can get there.

Good answer Tony!!!!

As for sat-nav, tom-tom, whatever, yeah I'd get one because I'm useless at reading a map.

Oh sorry, you asked which is better?

No idea :D

Tomtom are great. Hearing many people are now prefering Garmin.But never tried one.
I have 2 x TT both with the FULL European maps. They are worth buying as the basic european map is not as good.

can buy sat navs for £60 i think now

I recommend the NAVMAN systems. I use the S910i model and is faultless. We tend to do a lot of mileage a week (around 450) and for the money you cannot be going far wrong. Ok, they do tend to send you down a crazy oneway street now and again but regardless a business assett. I reccommend getting one with the 'TMC' as this notifies you to traffic jams along your route and can save time.
If you like your gadgets and always likes the top notch stuff, try the new VDO DAYTON PN-6000 model. Has built in TV radio etc.

Well i went out and bought a TomTom one XL and it seems great. have only used it around the town but have not gone up a one way street yet:D

Had to change the voice on it, i have enough women in my life giving me orders without one more:D

These were given away as ViaMichelin has withdrawn from the satnav game and they had a few left over. I got one too, and they are good. I use tomtom at work, and I've used a NavMan a year or so ago. They all have features I like, but I agree the VM is pretty-gosh-darned-good for a freebie!

Like you say, bloody good for a freebie. If you registered online they send you all sorts of details about posh restaurants but also they are still updating and new software is available for all over Europe.

seen a navman in local paper for 30 quid, are they any good??

I would buy the Navman,

and then throw it straight in the nearest skip - save you the trouble of doing it two months later:mad:

the power comes in through the mini usb connector, which is stuck to the PCB with a bit of cheese. Seriously.

If you even look at the connector it will fall off just to spite you. Mine broke. Tried soldering it, but the track is literally laid on the board and is wafer thin. another guy in work walks in to see me the other day holding the same model (Navman F20) and says "can you have a look at this"

No says I, the usb connector is knackered and you cant switch it on

"how the hell do you know that!" he says

and yes, I was right:mad:

I would say that Tom tom are the best by far. Easy to use, very clear maps, and very acurate, almost faultless i would say. I have used a few over the years, and by far the worst was a Navman, although it was one of their first ones and they have probably improved by now.

Choosing a satnav is all very weel - but (whilst I use one) I always use Google to check out the location of all jobs before leaving. If you rely entirely on the satnav you could end up all over the place. Of satnavs I have used - TomTom is easiest to read.

Try this link for map (both drawing and aerial).
Google Maps
http://www.multimap.com

Reply to Sat Nav in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock