Discuss Screwdrivers in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Re: Screw Drivers

think i had a set of them, back when I started out. didnt think much of them, but for £5 it says it all really :D

I like wera, i've noticed they sell them under the name kraftform and have it in a stainless steel version, are stainless steel ones meant to be better? take a look between the 2 Kraftform Stainless Screwdriver Set 6 Pc - screwflix..com, Where the Trade Buys

Wera Screwdriver Set Slip-Stop 6Pc - screwflix..com, Where the Trade Buys

advantages and disadvantages of stainless steel ones...

cheers luke

Wera are one of the best sparked out .... ive used them for years and still going strong. also i use knipex pliers and cutters
hope this helps

For driving and extracting fixings - Draper are as good as any I don't hesitate to fetch a needle file to them to get that fit perfect.

For termination - Bahco - 'coz I'm worth it :cool:

For painty tin lids - someone else's.

Whatever happened to those translucent green 'CK' brand 10" long terminal drivers? Don't think they were 1000v VDE rated but uncannily they seemed to fit every screw really well.

Last edited by a moderator:

Another thing with Irazola, that you are not always told, is that they are guaranteed a lifetime. Chip or break one and you can take it back to the stockist and they should change it for you.

Mind you, knowing my luck, when they say it's guaranteed a lifetime if one of mine breaks the broken piece will fly up and kill me :eek:

im no expert but all i can say is that the draper look-a-likes that wickes do are great mainly cos they seem to be hard wearing and the handles are great for grip and are comfortable etc. Another thing i can say is that Kew Technik are prob the worst because they are not hard wearing at all (guy i work with got a brand new set about 4 wks or so ago and half of the philips head completely snapped off when tightening an MCB terminal. One critism with the wickes ones is that they dont do a certain size flat head (might b 3/3.5) the one that is ideal for socket terminals and lid screws! they only do like an average size flat head of a couple of tiny ones which are also short in lengh. so yeah.. no prob with the wickes ones yet and kew technik's are rubbish.

I like wera, i've noticed they sell them under the name kraftform and have it in a stainless steel version, are stainless steel ones meant to be better?

my employer recently got a set of wera's from screwfix and he cant fault them, they've got added 'ridges' on the tips so they shouldn't slip at all.

surely though u should get the VDE screwdrivers rather than stainless steel because obviously being electricians its safer to have VDE 1000v tested screwdrivers than stainless steel ones! :confused:

VDE Slip Stop Screwdriver Set 7Pc - screwflix..com, Where the Trade Buys

Last edited by a moderator:

As far as I can see the wickes are identical to the draper expert except for the price, also if you rub hard enough "wickes" rubs off and no ones any the wiser!! The one that doesn't come in the set is the 4mm but is available seperately for about £3,

Wickes WERE identical to Draper, but they have introduced a new range of 'soft grip' drivers with red and yellow handles - don't look nearly as good as old ones!

In the US, pretty much every electrician uses Klein screwdrivers. I'm going to have to check out some of these other brands you all use. I've never heard of most of them.

"knocking driver"? That might be what we call a "beater screwdriver". It used to be a straight blade, and now it's some sort of b@stardized chisel due to abuse. :eek:

In the US, pretty much every electrician uses Klein screwdrivers. I'm going to have to check out some of these other brands you all use. I've never heard of most of them.

"knocking driver"? That might be what we call a "beater screwdriver". It used to be a straight blade, and now it's some sort of b@stardized chisel due to abuse. :eek:

10 out of 10. I love my knocking driver !! I will take a pic and post it later ! :D

Got myself a Roper Whitney punch (Jnr No.5) mdshunk.

Must have heard of them? (I know it isn't a screwdriver)

I thought that Bahco rocks. Unfortunately, I broke my 3.5 flat after several days.
Back to my trusty Kraftgrip sets.
Recently, I purchased a set of Stanley Max VDE. To my astonishment I could reed “Kraftgrip” logo on the Stanley Max 3.0mm circuit tester.
After brief research I found out that The Stanlies are actually “Kraftgrips” made in Slovenia. Anyway, they are probably the strongest one of all that I have been using.

Irazola. Bright orange and unmistakeable.£30 - £40 for a set of 6. i had them for like 2 years have lasted quite well to be honest i also have a set of ck drivers which i got as a part of a set for 27 they are good too had no problems

the bacho ones are very cheap on ebay at the moment a set of 6 insulated drivers £14 quid

ck's and a cheap £2 mains tester from the wholsalers cos i can do anything with it (chip away plaster) and not care. Have used irazolas but preferred the ck's. Plus my cutters and pliers are ck so i just stuck with them.

Reply to Screwdrivers in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Electricians Tools | Electrical Tools and Products

Thanks for visiting ElectriciansForums.net, we hope you find the Electricians Tools you're looking for. It's free to sign up to and post a question yourself to find a tool or tool supplier either local to you, or online. Our community of electricians and electrical engineers will do their best to find the best tool supplier for you.

We also have a Tiling Tools advice from the worlds largest Tiling community. And then the Plumbers Forums with Plumbers Tools Advice.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock