Discuss shed in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

L

lionelmcc

Hi guys

I am wondering what to do about this small shed which is about 3 meters from the house. It has two small freezers and a fridge, supplied at the moment with an extension reel from the house.The customer requires a light.
the CU is 3036 with no spare ways, no isolator on the tails and is at the other end of the house.
I know I could run 2.5 SWA from Henley blocks from the tails all the way round the wall of the building (about 30 meters) to a garage CU with RCD

Firstly, would I need an in line fuse near the tails to meet the regs?

Secondly, this all seems a Bit OTT for a garden shed, is it possible to spur from one of the rings in the house and Rcbo he sockets in the shed?

L

I think the easiest and most cost effective way is to:

Check earthing arrangements and make sure they are up to regs.

Remove the RFC from the existing CU and install this into a separate 32A 30mA rcd enclosure.

Install 6mm from the spare way in the cu to feed this RCD. This will now RCD protect the circuit you will now spur off for the shed supply.

Install 13A sw spur and from this circuit somewhere convenient at the back of the house, run 1.5 SWA to the shed and install your light etc.

This will also be notfiable as its outside.:)

thanks Jason

It looks like TT so heres hoping Ze is OK.
I've been to so many TT installations with my previous employer in rural areas where Ze was , in some cases, as high as 400 ohms. It's a common problem in these areas.
Electricity companies are "on the make".
It's a pity that they are not forced to install tn systems everywhere
As for building control, the regs are different in Scotland.
I will check with them though

L

If the system is TT, you local supplier may be able to convert to PME.

Give them a call and see if this is possible, failing that, heres to hoping the TT is in good nick!

Reply to shed in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock