Discuss should i do 2391 or 2392 ?? in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
I finished 2230 level 3 in june 2008 and have passed the 17th edition update i have limited domestic experiance would it be advisable to sit the 2392 inspection and then in a couple of years take the 2391 or bite the bullet and take the 2391 straight away.i have mock 2391 papers and i can answer some of the questions all ready .problem i have is now one round where i live does the 2392 ( colchester ) please can any one help also what does 2392 allow me to do ????

Go on go on go on, 2391 all the way. I am in the same boat except I do dom work so will be doing 2391 rather than go half way with 2392

2392 -10 is a level 2 multi guess exam which covers initial verification only(new installations in other words),the old 2391 which has changed to 2392-20 as it is now 17th based is a level 3 inspection &test and covers the whole range of testing including periodics,this is the hard one.

If you are new to testing, if might be a good idea to do the 2391-10 first to get you feet wet, go off and get some experience and then do the 2391-20 when you are more confident.

As Paul says, it is not easy, in-fact it has one of the highest failure rates in C&G.

If you are confident then do as Cirrus says:D:D

Hi
i wouldnt advise anyone without a fair bit of testing experience to go straight in with the 2391.:eek:

You say youve got previous questions you can answer, but have you got answers supplied by c&g showing exactly what they want because they are a funny old bunch and want to see correct terminology etc.:confused:

I am speaking from experience there because when i did my 2391 i thought i knew the answers and was surprised to see how many questions i would have got wrong during the practice papers if i had used my initial answers due to not reading and interpreting the questions exactly, as they dont give any room for error on that exam.:mad:

All the best with what you decide.;)

If you can get it that cheap though you might as well give it a whirl.

My local college charges £749 but i managed to find a local place that does it for £425 all in.

£300 is an absolute bargain

Last edited:
I agree with what "the Doc" and Flukey have said. I did my 2391 last year and it was a bitch. Ok I passed it but I have quite a few years testing experience behind me.
Having said that to get 2391 for £300 is, as Flukey says, an absolute bargain. It almost makes it worth "having a go" at that price!!

2392 -10 is a level 2 multi guess exam which covers initial verification only(new installations in other words),the old 2391 which has changed to 2392-20 as it is now 17th based is a level 3 inspection &test and covers the whole range of testing including periodics,this is the hard one.

erm......sorry Paul, no it hasnt

2392 is 2392

2391 is, and always has been 2391 - there is no such thing as the 2392-20.

You coorect in the 2392 being intitial verifications though, and there is also a test of a single phase board:)

If you are new to testing, if might be a good idea to do the 2391-10 first to get you feet wet, go off and get some experience and then do the 2391-20 when you are more confident.

As Paul says, it is not easy, in-fact it has one of the highest failure rates in C&G.

If you are confident then do as Cirrus says:D:D

hey old chap, these are different exams!

2391-10 is the full inspection and testing, wheras 2391-20 is the deign qual (replaced the old 2400)

I blame C&G, they proposed changing the 2391 title, then we all said *Whoa* and they changed their minds back - and didnt tell anyone:p

They liearned their lesson after changing the 2400 to the 2391-20, no-one takes it now!

Last edited by a moderator:

2392 is 2392

You coorect in the 2392 being intitial verifications though, and there is also a test of a single phase board:)

2391-10 is the full inspection and testing, wheras 2391-20 is the deign qual (replaced the old 2400)

I blame C&G, they proposed changing the 2391 title, then we all said *Whoa* and they changed their minds back - and didnt tell anyone:p

They liearned their lesson after changing the 2400 to the 2391-20, no-one takes it now!

Agree with the later part Shakey when I did 2400 that was the course the college said we where doing as well as the exam paper get my certificate it had 2391-20 on it, tell people you've got that and they look at you as if you have 2 heads say that it is 2400 then your ok.

2392 is 2392

iI stand corrected old chap,but that is what i was led to beleive but hey what do i know,i failed it.:eek:

I was told by my lecturer to do the 2392-10 cos the 2391 is best suited for people with a fews years experience under there belts, having said that ( and I'm hoping anyone who's done 2392.10 will enlighten me) I'm not sure how much more the 2392-10 course teaches you if youv'e done your 2330?

I'm doin the 2392.10 in January, Our college will strongly advise you (to the point of disallowing you) not to do 2391 unless you have 5 years experience.

I was told by my lecturer to do the 2392-10 cos the 2391 is best suited for people with a fews years experience under there belts, having said that ( and I'm hoping anyone who's done 2392.10 will enlighten me) I'm not sure how much more the 2392-10 course teaches you if youv'e done your 2330?

I'm doin the 2392.10 in January, Our college will strongly advise you (to the point of disallowing you) not to do 2391 unless you have 5 years experience.

I have taken probably 35-40 students through the 2392, and the vast majority of them will do the 2391 with me, it is certainly a good stepping stone, and gets you used to the 'pressure' of having a formal practical exam

The 2392 is good if you want to prove your competency at inspecting and testing - initial verifications and PIR's (as far as testing goes) are the same , Zs is stil Zs, most of my condidates will have about 20 hours meter experience, and most get through it ok

Reply to should i do 2391 or 2392 ?? in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock