Discuss Should we stop buying in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Careful, chaps...please! I innocently mentioned a punkah-wallah in a recent thread and my post was deleted...
There's some ok stuff from China and India, also some great stuff from UK but it's expensive and beyond the budget for many folks.
Big Clive has uncovered some pretty decent gear from China, and also some not so good...price is key, so looking at the price carefully is also key, if you see what i mean.
If you spent a grand on a phone, surely you wouldn't buy a £3.99 charger for it, wherever it came from?
Also, sometimes the item you want is simply only available from China...but if you buy from a reputable UK retailer you have some confidence.
I recently pointed out to a client that the UK adapters he was selling were non-compliant...pin sizes wrong etc. he called the supplier who took all 200 back and gave him proper ones. It's all common sense, imho

I find it amusing that the same media that tells us that we should not blame Islam when some nutter mows people down in the street happily associated that nutter and Jo Cox's murder with Brexit, it's almost as if our media had their own agenda. :eek:
We’ve been in a media state for some time now, not just the tradition rags and TV but also social media. We need to be very wary of those manipulating and controlling it. What’s fake, what’s misleading etc. We’re in extremely dangerous times. Very clever and manipulative people warp the minds of others to do their dirty work and in turn whip up hate and unrest in the general population.

Also, politicians present us with fatuous and puerile excuses for their actions and actually expect us to believe them...arrogant and insulting and worse...
I'm seriously contemplating leaving this country in the next year or two...I'm not saying that where i go will be any better, but at least i won't care as much, and won't be so disgusted at the attitude of our rulers
I feel sorry for everyone who has still to plough a life in this broken UK...nothing short of a rebellion will sort it

We’ve been in a media state for some time now, not just the tradition rags and TV but also social media. We need to be very wary of those manipulating and controlling it. What’s fake, what’s misleading etc. We’re in extremely dangerous times. Very clever and manipulative people warp the minds of others to do their dirty work and in turn whip up hate and unrest in the general population.
Which is why the Executive Order Trump has just signed is potentially so important.

The liberals in tech sector in the US could always pretend they were a platform with no editorial control, all the time demonetising, deplatforming, banning or censoring opposing views.

If they continue they risk losing their platform status under section 230 and become a publisher and as such liable to litigation.

We live in interesting times.

What, trying to sensor fact checking and fake news. Trump is king of that and it’s another example of him making up the rules to suit him. Trump and Boris are liars and both are in the process of changing democracies into dictatorships.

The truth is out there , but never good to admit the above normal death stats have a political value .
I wonder what other bad news is being buried .
Too many dis-tractors
- blinded in the headlights / camera flashes !
-----
as far as general hardware , cheap from china is becoming naff
if said I item needs to contain some hard wearing metal part !

Last edited:
What, trying to sensor fact checking and fake news. Trump is king of that and it’s another example of him making up the rules to suit him. Trump and Boris are liars and both are in the process of changing democracies into dictatorships.
All politicians are liers, the tribalism in modern politics is polarising voter to such an extent that they dont hear the lies of their team.

We also live in an age of information saturation where opinion is held as fact and to hold a different opinion point is heracy.

Much of what Trump says are ill advised brain farts that a professional politician would not risk but he has not lied anywhere near as much as the media would have you believe.

We've had a run of smarmy, well spoken shisters that can not be pinned down to give an opinion on anything, wholly disingenuous and dishonest by omission.

Trump and Boris at least aren't this and that's refreshing.

Finally, there are precious few facts only evidenced theories. Pretty much all statistics are manipulated by both sides.

So Boris is not a smarmy well spoken shister? I think he fits that description to the highest degree. ;) He’s in well out of his depth and unfortunately he’s heavily reliant on Cummings.
Agree that politicians have always lied, warped the truth and are masters at avoiding the question. Unfortunately we are at unprecedented levels of deceit and deception at the moment. Trump is refreshingly dangerous.

So Boris is not a smarmy well spoken shister? I think he fits that description to the highest degree. ;) He’s in well out of his depth and unfortunately he’s heavily reliant on Cummings.
Agree that politicians have always lied, warped the truth and are masters at avoiding the question. Unfortunately we are at unprecedented levels of deceit and deception at the moment. Trump is refreshingly dangerous.
I'll tell you why I disagree about Trump.

He says what he wants, was elected as a result and tries to deliver it.

Anyway the only reason I like him is for delivering the looks on the faces of Channel 4 news, the BBC and most of all Hillary when she lost.

I wouldn't call Boris well spoken, affable, bumbling, rambling and quite likeable but not smooth.

Politicians now have everything they ever wanted in an electorate.....majority could care less or know better and basically get rallied up by the media come election time....

Say what you want about Trump, but he has delivered more then any other politician here in the US, until the outbreak of Chairman Xi's crazy bat flu, the economy was humming along also. Back to the original topic, I read labels for COO, Country Of Origin, any food item made by the ChiComs goes back on the shelf, as their food standards are slim to non existent, have seen frozen broccoli, cauliflower, and canned mushrooms, & Mandarin oranges from China, and even ChiCom toilet paper with a California Proposition 65 cancer warning. As to what others have said it hard, or impossible, to avoid ChiCom products, as they either dominate some product categories, or some parts in the product are ChiCom, then there are the infamous words in this part of the world, "Made in USA of globally sourced components". Rather funny that made in Japan means quality now, in the past it meant junk like China, but then the Dell computer this post is written on, my iPhone are of ChiCom origin. :(

If you intend only purchasing non-Chinese items,you better get ready get writing,to order them.....because you won't be using your phone or the internet ;)

Reply to Should we stop buying in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock