Discuss Stainless tie wrap - tightening in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Julie.

Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Have you guys had any issue in getting stainless tie wraps to stay tight?

I don't use them much myself, but recently needed some, however, even though I use a tool which really makes them tight, the moment I cut or release it the tie wrap relaxes back such a lot that by the time the ball bearing locks it's not tight at all.

I have tried a couple of different ones and they all seem to do the same, before I try every single make out there, do you find one make better than the rest, or is that just it with stainless ties?

In this case I was using it on a large satellite dish - its on a mostly vertical run, around a tube, and basically once "tightened " the wraps just slide down!

I use them a lot, despite the cost, because for the sake of a few quid it can make a big plant install go from ordinary to 'wow, looks amazing'. And you just need to be viscious with them, my tensioners have the shearing bar lever, but normally I've snapped most of the tail off before then just by the tensioner. Mind you, also probably why my tennis elbow is playing up at the moment!

That said....... you obviously have to judge not cutting into the cable.......

all this expense for steel ties. what's wrong with a few offcuts of copper conductor or poshjobs, SWA armour strand scrap<and a pair of pliers to twist them.

I use them a lot, despite the cost, because for the sake of a few quid it can make a big plant install go from ordinary to 'wow, looks amazing'. And you just need to be viscious with them, my tensioners have the shearing bar lever, but normally I've snapped most of the tail off before then just by the tensioner. Mind you, also probably why my tennis elbow is playing up at the moment!

That said....... you obviously have to judge not cutting into the cable.......
Yes snapped a few at the grip part.

What make of tie wrap do you use?

Yes snapped a few at the grip part.

What make of tie wrap do you use?
Good question! I think maybe I've found the engex ones better

I have had a mixed experience with stainless ties. Some of the expensive ones were really poop and the cheap tat from eBay were good. TBH it's a bit of a lottery.

When I was doing a lot of industrial work we always used Band-It when stainless ties were needed as it was quite versatile and had little or no waste-age , still use it occasionally these days but no where near the quantity I have used in the past

When I was doing a lot of industrial work we always used Band-It when stainless ties were needed as it was quite versatile and had little or no waste-age , still use it occasionally these days but no where near the quantity I have used in the past
Not having used it, does it work like packaging strap where it's a band with a separate clip or crimp?

Not having used it, does it work like packaging strap where it's a band with a separate clip or crimp?
Yes it's very similar, you get a roll of stainless tape and use separate buckles to secure it once it is tightened using the tensioning tool the buckle ears are used to secure the cut end
I have used it for fastening multiple swa's onto ladder rack and tray and also used it for clamping equipment to poles, it's common to find it used for securing road signs to poles

Reply to Stainless tie wrap - tightening in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Electricians Tools | Electrical Tools and Products

Thanks for visiting ElectriciansForums.net, we hope you find the Electricians Tools you're looking for. It's free to sign up to and post a question yourself to find a tool or tool supplier either local to you, or online. Our community of electricians and electrical engineers will do their best to find the best tool supplier for you.

We also have a Tiling Tools advice from the worlds largest Tiling community. And then the Plumbers Forums with Plumbers Tools Advice.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock