Discuss Surprised in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Pete999

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
At how many new, Electricians or near qualified Trainees are unsure of how to wire RFCs in conduit, Plastic or Metal, advised a guy the other day who had taken a leg right from the last Socket outlet back th the CU through the tub bypassing all the 13Amp sockets, wanted to run another bit of tube back to the CU for the return Leg. Do the training establishment teach this simple task? just wondering. Anyone.

'

At how many new, Electricians or near qualified Trainees are unsure of how to wire RFCs in conduit, Plastic or Metal, advised a guy the other day who had taken a leg right from the last Socket outlet back th the CU through the tub bypassing all the 13Amp sockets, wanted to run another bit of tube back to the CU for the return Leg. Do the training establishment teach this simple task? just wondering. Anyone.
well Pete gods like us need to go to earth and show them .is the one day wonders cant do it .never been trained . god help them .

Seen it done in dado trunking. DB at one end of room and around 25ish meters of trunking in a U shape. DB within 2M of closest group of 4 sockets. 1st leg of RFC to closest socket which is fine but return leg was connected to the furthest socket. So about a 30M run instead of 2 or 3.

Seen it done in dado trunking. DB at one end of room and around 25ish meters of trunking in a U shape. DB within 2M of closest group of 4 sockets. 1st leg of RFC to closest socket which is fine but return leg was connected to the furthest socket. So about a 30M run instead of 2 or 3.
Simple in trunking Mate a no brainer in fact.

So let me get this straight because I'm having a brain-fart; rather than feed the return leg through the same conduit it went to the sockets in, they wanted to run it back in a separate piece of trunking?

when i used to run a rfc in dado, i'd run 1 leg through sockets 1,3,5,7..... and the other leg through sockets 2,4,6,8......
[automerge]1580333308[/automerge]
when i used to run a rfc in dado, i'd run 1 leg through sockets 1,3,5,7..... and the other leg through sockets 2,4,6,8......
and sometimes i managed to keep the cables in the right compartment/s.

Last edited:
Pete, during my brief training I wasn't taught how to wire a RFC in conduit specifically, but I was taught to wire a ring reasonably balanced. In situations where there would be a very long leg from the final point back to the CU, the solution offered was as per Tel's post, or to wire a radial instead.

Don't understand Mate, are you saying that how you wire the RFC in conduit is dependant on the length of the cable you are using?

personally, I do it the way tel says... 1,3,5,6,4,2.... but others I have worked with in the past have done it 1,2,3,4,5,6, back to CU.
(just using 6 points as an example)

it’s a ring, so hypothetically, you could do 1,2,5,3,6,4... but that would just be daft.

I thought the issue with the OP, is running a separate conduit back to the board for the return legs.

personally, I do it the way tel says... 1,3,5,6,4,2.... but others I have worked with in the past have done it 1,2,3,4,5,6, back to CU.
(just using 6 points as an example)

it’s a ring, so hypothetically, you could do 1,2,5,3,6,4... but that would just be daft.

I thought the issue with the OP, is running a separate conduit back to the board for the return legs.
Yes it is, the person I was trying to help out, couldn't understand how to wire a RFC in tube WITHOUT running the tube in a ring ie tube from CU to socket 1,2,3,4, etc and a run from the last socket back to the CU, just couldn't get to grips with how to do it the way Tel suggested 1.3.5.7.9 etc, the reason for my post, initially was to try and find out how this is taught at College these days, looks like many different people have differing views, thanks for all the input folks.

One run of conduit with two lots of cable OR two runs of conduit with one lot of cable?....that really is a no brainer.
Failure to work that out may result in the Japanese way...…..Hara-kiri.

Well Pete that's what we called it in London circa 1970's
Thought it was some local name, Dave, thanks for letting me know, from now on it's "The Chinese way" in my neck of the woods. Like it, very apt.

Out of interest, why would you choose to wire this sort of circuit as a ring final? Surely a radial is the obvious choice for something like this. One run of conduit, one run of cable.

Reply to Surprised in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock