Discuss the next step? in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

T

trebor73

Hello anyone,

I've just completed my VRQ Domestic Electrical Installer course and I'm glad to say that i passed.

Now, I'm not looking at doing this for a living. Not yet anyway.Just want to do bits at home and maybe the in-laws house occasionally.

On the course, we used megger and dialog testers which as you all know cost hundreds of pounds. I keep seeing other testers on the market (in Maplins) for example.they seem to do the same job for no more than a hundred pounds. Can anyone help? Do i really need to buy a Megger or the like?

The other problem i have is, that although i've done the course, i still can't do much without registering with a scheme.(another 400 quid a year). If i do join a scheme, will they insist on a really expensive tester.

God, i only want to do bits around the home or for family.

Please help

Cheers all.

if you do register with a scheme operator one of the requirements is that you must have a meter capable of carrying out all the tests required so you might find it cheaper to buy one of the multitesters which start around £400 a pop i think you will find,happy hunting;)

Thanks.
Thats just the problem though. I'm gonna have to register if say for example my dad wants a shaver socket put in. So 400 quid for a tester and 400 quid a year to a scheme that i might use twice a year.

Its getting cheaper to get an electrician in after all the work i've put in.

????

I know it may not sound nice but don't you think you should have looked at all of the scenario before you paid out on the course eg cost of test equipment, registration etc if you arn't going to be doing that often

IFAIK you don't have to register with a scheme - you would register if you do enough jobs that going to building control every time doesn't make financial sense. Building control charge say £120 per notifiable job (amount depends on the job), the schemes charge you £1.50 per notifiable job but require £450 say (depends on scheme) annually.

Your testing equipment will need to comply with GS38 and if you buy a Megger 1552, the leads included do not comply (speaking from experience :mad:)

All i want to know really is what is the problem with the digital multimeters i've seen? Why pay so much when they all do the same job really.I can understand someone getting a megger or fluke etc if they're setting up on theyre own but this is for non profit.

Look like the best way is to do minor work only then.

I did this course as something to do while i'll was off work to maybe enable me to carry out work at home or do a favour for family. if i had known it would coast an additional GRAND just to put a shaver socket in then i wouldnt be writing this.

Thanks for making me feel i've wasted my money.

LOL.:(

funnily no, not for the love of it. more a safety net for the future really. I'll probably grow to love it though if and when i start to do any jobs. Will prob have to get some work experience somehow first.

Im in the brewery tech industry at the mo and not getting any experience with regards to domestic stuff.

Thanks for your input number15 by the way.

If i go down the route of building control, will they need to use my tester or do they have their own?

Many thanks.:)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ian.settle1 the next step? {filename} | ElectriciansForums.net
I know it may not sound nice but don't you think you should have looked at all of the scenario before you paid out on the course eg cost of test equipment, registration etc if you arn't going to be doing that often

I agree with Ian.

You stupid man.

:D

Meeeeeeeooowww:D

I agree with Ian.

You stupid man.

:D

There was no need to insult me Bane( respected member!). I'm putting a question out there after all.

You have offered no advice to me so kindly refrain from making cheap remarks.

:p

All i want to know really is what is the problem with the digital multimeters i've seen? Why pay so much when they all do the same job really.I can understand someone getting a megger or fluke etc if they're setting up on theyre own but this is for non profit.

Look like the best way is to do minor work only then.

I did this course as something to do while i'll was off work to maybe enable me to carry out work at home or do a favour for family. if i had known it would coast an additional GRAND just to put a shaver socket in then i wouldnt be writing this.

Thanks for making me feel i've wasted my money.

LOL.:(
:mad: now you know why sparkies have to charge so much,in order to recoupe some of their trade tax (sorry NICEIC membership),van,van tax,van insurance,testers,liability insurance,hand tools,power tools:eek: not having a go at you mate but it is a expensive game being a self employed spark,my cafe as just put their full breakfast up by 25p as well ,what a life;)

funnily no, not for the love of it. more a safety net for the future really. I'll probably grow to love it though if and when i start to do any jobs. Will prob have to get some work experience somehow first.

Im in the brewery tech industry at the mo and not getting any experience with regards to domestic stuff.

Thanks for your input number15 by the way.

If i go down the route of building control, will they need to use my tester or do they have their own?

Many thanks.:)
You may find it easier to get a friendly local spark to test and cert your work for you

Reply to the next step? in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock