Discuss Travel allowance in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

cezardb

Trainee
Reaction score
Hi guys,
Recently I been employed by a company, they been offering me the current JIB rate for 2020 for an employee using his own vehicle. I am travelling everyday 80 miles to go to work and back and I wanted to claim for petrol as I know that some of my colleagues where doing this but I been refuse saying that this is included in my rate for using my own vehicle. Since when the rate for using your own vehicle include the petrol allowance?

how much is the allowance? if above 25p/mile then i's say fuel cost is included

THE NATIONAL STANDARD JOB EMPLOYED RATE FALLS INTO TWO CATEGORIES
Two different wage rates shall apply to JIB Graded operatives and apprentices working on site, depending on whether the employer transports them to site or whether they provide their own transport. The two categories are:
6.1.1.1 Job Employed (Transport Provided)
Payable to operatives and apprentices who are transported to and from the job by their employer. Operatives and apprentices shall also be entitled to a Mileage Rate when travelling in their own time, as detailed in National Working Rule 11.2.
6.1.1.2 Job Employed (Own Transport)
Payable to operatives and apprentices who travel by their own means to and from the job. Operatives and apprentices shall also be entitled to a Mileage Allowance, when travelling in their own time, as detailed in National Working Rule 11.2.

From this document.

Is this travelling from home to a fixed place of work, for example a factory or other building?
Or is it travelling to customers premises to carry out work?

Is this travelling from home to a fixed place of work, for example a factory or other building?
Or is it travelling to customers premises to carry out work?

i am travelling from home to a fixed place of work everyday. My workplace is the head office.
[automerge]1583490495[/automerge]
Are you travelling in your onw time or on company time?
On my own time, takes about 45-55 min each way. Sometimes more.

Ah,
I am pretty sure, employees are expected to transport themselves to and from a fixed place of work in there own time and at there own cost.

Working at customers sites would be different.

i am travelling from home to a fixed place of work everyday. My workplace is the head office.
[automerge]1583490495[/automerge]

On my own time, takes about 45-55 min each way. Sometimes more.
If that is the case then they don't need to pay you any extra. You have to make your way to your place of work in your own time and at your own expense. If they then send you to another job more than 15 miles away from their office using your own transport then they would have to give you mileage allowance.

it gets complex when OP has to travel from home direct to a job rather than to office. employer would pay allowance depending on mileage office to job, irrespective of whether the OP's home is closer to or further from the job than is the office. this can be a case of win some - lose some. better to be s/e then allowance starts from OP's home, wherever he goes.

Agree with the above, you don't normally get paid fuel or mileage Home to work and rtn.

Looking at the link above it looks like you are being paid the higher rate for providing your own transport, when they need only pay you a lower rate for working at a fixed site (or shop as shown in the link)

Re Tel above, it used to be something like if you had to drive past the office or fixed place to get to a job site you only got paid for the miles after the office.
But if you went in the opposite direction you got paid all.

Untill retirement I was employed with company van and got paid Home to Home for the last 20 ish years.
For the 5 or so years before that we weren't paid for the first half hour travel each way, unless the site was closer than that.
For the 25 ish before that I only got paid to / from home if it was to a training course.

Last edited:

Reply to Travel allowance in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net