Discuss vista upgrading in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

C

charliesimith

I upgraded to Vista Ultimate SP1 rom Home premium on my samsung laptop [Cheap] 13% Off Samsung R60 Laptop - NP-R60FY0C/SUK - Pop Voucher Codes.
Following this, I downloaded and installed 20+ updates for Windows. However, now the Windows Update function freezes with a blank panel and must be closed using Task Manager. Microsoft support suggested reinstalling the Vista Ultimate upgrade. This cured the problem temporarily. However, the update function nows hangs (again)! I'm tired of reinstalling the Ultimate upgrade so a new solution is needed. I appreciate any help!

Last edited by a moderator:
I upgraded to Vista Ultimate SP1 rom Home premium on my samsung laptop [Cheap] 13% Off Samsung R60 Laptop - NP-R60FY0C/SUK - Pop Voucher Codes.
Following this, I downloaded and installed 20+ updates for Windows. However, now the Windows Update function freezes with a blank panel and must be closed using Task Manager. Microsoft support suggested reinstalling the Vista Ultimate upgrade. This cured the problem temporarily. However, the update function nows hangs (again)! I'm tired of reinstalling the Ultimate upgrade so a new solution is needed. I appreciate any help!

Get one large lump hammer........... need I continue ?:D

I was clever and started to use " macs" years ago. one thing i know is Vista has got to be the biggest piece of crap Microsoft have released. Most of my "geek" friends have all gone back to XP pro and now have much faster machines and less isssues

Go back to XP.

Machine now runs a lot faster, doesn't hang every 2 seconds, I can actually run all of my software and have more than one window open at a time without it grinding to a halt.

Little things like that. Vista is an absolute pile of poo IMHO.

i actually prefer vista, ive got vista 64 ultimate had it on for at least 6 months and hasnt crashed once, there are alot of benefits compared to xp when running vista. vista does and is very memory hungry, it doesnt like having anyless than 1.5gb ram installed. it will run but as soon as you ask it to do something it freezes etc.

If you want nothing but headaches, then go for an upgrade.

If you want it to work first time, then do a clean installation.

Vista is crap. I bought a £1200 Sony VAIO last year and will be selling it in a few weks as am buying a Macbook for me and a mac for the kids. Am frikkin sick and tired of Bill Gates and their unreliability. I used to use Macs and don't know why I ever went back to PC's.

alot of the problems people have with vista is clearly at first there were alot of teething probs with drivers for programs and hardware etc. i waited till it all settled down and the service pack was released for it, then i went for the full clean install of it. May have a slight advantage with running the 64bit version which allows big memory and slick operation. there is the support for it now as with all things when they first come out there will be things that go wrong. interistingly as well ive got a seperate "pc" that had a mac operating system installed on it that i use for graphics purposes.

Everything said in this thread so far is reminiscent of when XP first appeared to the masses 8 years ago, only back then it was the 9x/ME users making the claims that XP was crap.

thats it killer watt things take time to develop etc, i used to love 95 and 98 and was same me self, its just evolution, vista is superior to xp and is in my opinion backed up with updates and drivers etc to make it work.

thats it killer watt things take time to develop etc, i used to love 95 and 98 and was same me self, its just evolution, vista is superior to xp and is in my opinion backed up with updates and drivers etc to make it work.
The main problem the 9x/ME users has was that XP was a completely different animal, and the majority didn't have a clue how to use it.
The secondary problem was that XP (or any NT based OS for that matter) will not tolerate sub standard (see cheap) hardware, whereas 9x/ME will put up with just about any old rubbish because the underlying OS is good old MS-DOS.

I have Vista Ultimate running on a machine that is coming up on 4 years old, and it works flawlessly (and no, it certainly isn't what I would call a "high spec" machine by todays standards).

Most PC problems fall in to 3 categories...

1. PEBKAC (Problem Exists Between Keyboard And Chair)
2. Crap hardware
3. Drivers

My offer made in my introductory post still stands, maybe the forum Admin want to add another section for PC related problems.

totally agree killer watt, its no good having some poo poo memory in there thats got some silly bugs on it. and crap motherboards can be a large contributor to unstableness( is that a word!)

mine aint out flash either, im not even dual core yet, just got a P4 3.2ghz and Asus motherboard running 64 bit vista, 4Gb ram, 500gb sata drive and a 512mb radeon graphics, thinking of upgrading soon to pci-e but dont wanna upset vista at the moment!!

My spec is even lower than yours....

P4 @ 3.2GHz
ASUS P4C800-E Deluxe
2GB OCZ Memory running in dual channel mode
nVidia 6600 GT (128MB)
400GB SATA main drive (2x 200GB in RAID 0)
1TB SATA slave drive
3TB NAS box in RAID 5 (for storing the ---- & xbox 360 games)

how do you find the raid setup?
Are you talking about performance, or how to get in to the raid BIOS?

Performance wise, it's twice as fast at read/write operations when compared to a single drive.

If you are talking about how to get in to the raid BIOS, then press CTRL + F when prompted.

From a performance point of view, it is slightly quicker than my old SCSI setup when I had that in single drive mode.

The SCSI drives had a 10,000 rpm spindle speed and an Ultra 160 interface, whereas the SATA controller has a 150 interface and the drives have a reduced speed of 7200 rpm (theoretical combo of a 15,000 rpm spindle when in RAID 0).

Reply to vista upgrading in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock