Discuss What Do They Do Abroad? in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

M

Marty48

Hi guys

i know we are all supposed to be harmonising in europe with electrical work etc
but does anyone know if they use S W A (STEEL ARMORED CABLE) there? what about the rest of the world? what about onboard ships? got a fantastic tool for stripping S W A s and need to assess market overseas with regards to patent protection ,marketing ,manufacturing etc. really appreciate any help you can give.

:confused:

Hi guys

i know we are all supposed to be harmonising in europe with electrical work etc
but does anyone know if they use S W A (STEEL ARMORED CABLE) there? what about the rest of the world? what about onboard ships? got a fantastic tool for stripping S W A s and need to assess market overseas with regards to patent protection ,marketing ,manufacturing etc. really appreciate any help you can give.

:confused:

Hi
I worked on a very large job a few years ago for a loada germans ,all the control panels and machines were made abroard ,and all the cable from quite small right up to at least 240mm 4 core, was that stuff with a plastic cover sheath ,which i cant remember what its called,
i may be wrong but i think its used on ships as well,

i think its the way its going to go.

the only armoured on the job was temporys to the portacabins.

dont be put off,when dumlop invented the pnumatic tyre ,everyone said weve got tyres ,why do we need another,

ive got a hacksaw and a stanly knife so i wont need one.

all the best with your invention ,but i feel you would be better using the inventive side of your brain for something else

Hope your tool strips inner insulation without nicking insulation of the conductors, best of luck with it. They don't seem to sell Twin and Earth, but not sure about SWA.

Hope your tool strips inner insulation without nicking insulation of the conductors, best of luck with it. They don't seem to sell Twin and Earth, but not sure about SWA.

Thanks lads HAD8LIVES
yes it will have the ability to cut the inner insulation to a predetermined depth.
as you know the thickness varies . RUMRUNNER
think the cable you mention might be called Y Y . that would be just about my luck if we all start using it, spent two years getting to this marvelous tool :mad:

Thanks lads HAD8LIVES
yes it will have the ability to cut the inner insulation to a predetermined depth.
as you know the thickness varies . RUMRUNNER
think the cable you mention might be called Y Y . that would be just about my luck if we all start using it, spent two years getting to this marvelous tool :mad:

HI,
You are correct, the cable was Y Y. and i think the manufacturers idea would be to use it all over the world,its a bit lighter than s.w.a,and is ideal to be used with i.p rated plastic boxes ,the jpob i was on it was layed in concreate ducts ,and run all over the place in basket,,where additional individual drops drops we required ,conduit was used.

think ,its only a matter of time before its use becomes widespread here,which is bad news for you ,sorry

Isn't YY predominantly used for Aircon? Can't see it replacing SWA myself.

used for various applications where armouring isnt required .ive used it when ive done m/c installation ,mainly control wiring
what i was told is ; sy is steel braiding cy is copper braiding yy is without either probably over simplified but it helps
the inner core on an armoured can vary in thickness due to the inner wires twisting and cheap cable so being able to put a slice straight down it can be dodgy .....

Hi
I worked on a very large job a few years ago for a loada germans ,all the control panels and machines were made abroard ,and all the cable from quite small right up to at least 240mm 4 core, was that stuff with a plastic cover sheath ,which i cant remember what its called,
i may be wrong but i think its used on ships as well,

i think its the way its going to go.

the only armoured on the job was temporys to the portacabins.

dont be put off,when dumlop invented the pnumatic tyre ,everyone said weve got tyres ,why do we need another,

ive got a hacksaw and a stanly knife so i wont need one.

all the best with your invention ,but i feel you would be better using the inventive side of your brain for something else

Why the shortsightedness cirrus ,the above job used YY throughout ,it was a 6 million pound project and all the swichgear was made by siemens and all the plant and machinnery was made by Bueller, i installed and connected quite a few large cables on that job the largest a couple of 185mm 4 cores ,i belive 240mm was also used,

its the future ,like it or not

used for various applications where armouring isnt required .ive used it when ive done m/c installation ,mainly control wiring
what i was told is ; sy is steel braiding cy is copper braiding yy is without either probably over simplified but it helps
the inner core on an armoured can vary in thickness due to the inner wires twisting and cheap cable so being able to put a slice straight down it can be dodgy .....

THats correct YY has no armour at all , plastic glangs and is available in any size swa is

i dont like the stuff much ,but its here and its staying.:)

Last edited by a moderator:
Bloody hell Rum, hold the firing squad! All I was saying is that YY cannot replace SWA.

Bloody hell Rum, hold the firing squad! All I was saying is that YY cannot replace SWA.

Fair comment fella ,just giving an example of how it allready has ,and i know there were four more similar projects to to one i was on accross the uk

and as the origional question was What do they do abroard" i only answered it:)

I understand Rum be what I am saying is YY has NO armour so surely it cannot replace the functionality of armoured? Am sure it is great in areas were true armoured protection is not necessary

and so far we've surrended to europe on cables colours, voltage and countless other points is it the three pin plug next?

Reply to What Do They Do Abroad? in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock