Discuss Worx branded tools in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Strima

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
As the title suggests, are Worx branded tools any good. I tend to pay a little more for tools as quality goes a long way but for some of the lesser used items I'm willing to take the plunge.

I'm after a battery circular saw and have spotted a Worx model with two batteries at better than half the price of Makita or Dewalt. Has Ni-Cad batteries so I know I'll have to cycle them through a charge every now and again when not being used.

I've had a Worx palm sander for years and it has never let me down after lots of abuse but have I got the exception from the batch?

Or any recommendations?

I tend to wonder if the top brand names are delivering the quality we expect for the price we are paying. generally I trust the top brands to be much of a muchness and give fair wear and tear; however my mate has just had an angle grinder fail on him second time out of the box due to a switch that fell apart - horrified to find it was a Makita. I have an old B@D of 20 year vintage that still has still performs as new despite the contempt that Black and decker has amongst the pro's . are we just brand snobs now and all gear except the like of Hilti is just pot luck.

Heard some really bad reviews about Dewalt stuff that's now being produced in the Czech republic, not a good move me thinks.

Years ago you could rely on the name to give you quality and service, not now.

worx are good quality!! just try getting the consumable bits when you need them for a decent price is the hard part!

i have a worx multi tool....

Heard some really bad reviews about Dewalt stuff that's now being produced in the Czech republic, not a good move me thinks.

Thats it. Years ago you could rely on the name to give you quality and service, not now .
We turn our noses up at the likes of Aldi and pay a fortune for Wera and CK and the likes only to find there is not £20 difference in the quality. Snap on and the like were once the crem de la crem , but even they are not a patch on their former self. All the good brand names have gone to china and may as well of gone to pot; Get a bit of German Aldi and Lidl gear and there is not the price difference in the quality. De Walt has gone downhill as has Makita , Bosch seems to hold it's own but is no where near the quality it was years ago.

This is all my opinion based on my experience and some of the repairs I've done for mates.

Hi Strima,

There are two Worx brands, the consumer brand and the pro brand, different colours (similar to Bosch), it used to be orange for the home garden type tools, and a bright yellow for the pro versions.

I was on site and borrowed a Pro 18V combi drill from another spark once, and even the casing casting looked identical to my Bosch drill, it seemed OK too.

Last edited:
It's the bright yellow I'm looking at. The palm sander is orange and it is gleaming, never missed a beat in seven years, and I'm talking two hours at a time, not the odd shelf.

Years ago you could rely on the name to give you quality and service, not now.

They're all at it mate. Some of the newer Bosch stuff is made there too. Does it actually affect quality these days where something is made?

In the majority of cases where something is produced has little to do with quality, the problem lies when something is produced under license. Manufacturing and inspection tolerances are a little more lax resulting in poorer quality items.

A good example is Tata cars and trucks, made in India under license from IRRC Nissan or Honda. Good design poorly and cheaply constructed.

I use a 12v Worx Versacut for cutting floorboards & ripping through tongues and hardboard coverings, it's a great bit of kit and has survived plenty of abuse.
The only thing I'd say is that the battery doesn't hold charge for long but if you're getting 2 that shouldn't be a problem. :)

Have a five year old Wrox drill had loads of stick still working not got the power of the new makita but was about half the price

Reply to Worx branded tools in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Electricians Tools | Electrical Tools and Products

Thanks for visiting ElectriciansForums.net, we hope you find the Electricians Tools you're looking for. It's free to sign up to and post a question yourself to find a tool or tool supplier either local to you, or online. Our community of electricians and electrical engineers will do their best to find the best tool supplier for you.

We also have a Tiling Tools advice from the worlds largest Tiling community. And then the Plumbers Forums with Plumbers Tools Advice.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock