Discuss 14 Day cooling off period sample in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

baldelectrician

-
Mentor
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
baldelectrician submitted a new resource:

14 Day cooling off period sample - Copy of cooling off stuff in word format- checked by local trading standards

I have attached a copy of the cooling off stuff in word format

It is good as you can peg it on to the end of quotes etc, this allows you to add your own terms and conditions-
A word of caution - any terms you add CANNOT remove any of the legal rights a client has. Be aware of this- you cannot get the client to sign away their cooling off rights

They can sign a waiver to let you start work but they can still ask you to stop at any time

Read more about this resource...

Personally I do not like the wording of that at all. It seems to say you may cancel up to 14 days after the conclusion of the contract. Which to my mind seems to say, when we have finished the work and installed the materials purchased for the work and cleared up and left, you can then cancel the contract...and not pay a penny????

might be an idea to replace "conclusion" with "signing" or "acceptance".

Personally I do not like the wording of that at all. It seems to say you may cancel up to 14 days after the conclusion of the contract. Which to my mind seems to say, when we have finished the work and installed the materials purchased for the work and cleared up and left, you can then cancel the contract...and not pay a penny????

It does seem slightly wrong, BUT that's covered by the later statement ;

"If you requested to begin the performance of services during the cancellation period, you shall pay to us an amount which is in proportion to any work that has been performed up until the point you have communicated to us your cancellation of this contract, in comparison with the full coverage of the contract."

So if the work is complete, they pay the full amount.
But if you're half a day from the end with just clearing up to do and they cancel, you knock half a day labour off and they get to clear up the crap you left.

"Conclusion of a contract" means "when the contract is agreed and accepted." It does not mean "when all the work described in the contract is done." However, it is very easy to misinterpret this (slightly arcane) legal term; perhaps it's worth putting both? The terminology used is that recommended in the original legislation - see Note 1(a) of the model instructions for cancellation.

So perhaps, to cover all bases, you could use the legal terminology ("conclusion of the contract") and add, "... for clarity, 'conclusion of the contract' is the point at which you ask me to do the work AND I agree to do it," or similar.

it is better to email a client ,and let them agree to the terms.
before any work is carried out. before stepping over the front door.
if a customer requires me to call out of hours .there a** is mine!

I know its good have to have written contracts on jobs above a certain size but I feel for you lot on here who have to do this for smaller works these days I don't know what the profession is coming to.

Conclusion of a contract" means "when the contract is agreed and accepted." It does not mean "when all the work described in the contract is done." However, it is very easy to misinterpret this (slightly arcane) legal term; perhaps it's worth putting both? The terminology used is that recommended in the original legislation - see Note 1(a) of the model instructions for cancellation.

So perhaps, to cover all bases, you could use the legal terminology ("conclusion of the contract") and add, "... for clarity, 'conclusion of the contract' is the point at which you ask me to do the work AND I agree to do it," or similar.

I know its good have to have written contracts on jobs above a certain size but I feel for you lot on here who have to do this for smaller works these days I don't know what the profession is coming to
me to the customer ,sow the consumers unit having a hissy fit .
would you want me to come back in 14 days time , for cooling off period .our sign this piece of paper !

Last edited:
@anthonybragg . Unfortunately when you see the state of some of the jobs; not just in our trade, it is hardly any wonder this legislation has been brought in.
Some of the jobs I have seen, not just domestic have made me cringe.

Here in Scotland "conclusion of the contract" refers to the point at which the parties have agreed terms, so the contract is then in place for certain works to be done.
"Completion of the contract" refers to the point at which the terms have been fulfilled.
It is ludicrous to have to have a written contract for very minor works such as adding a socket, or changing a light switch, but if you don't you still need the cooling-off bumf...that's the law.
Of course, there never was any requirement for written contracts for most work, but it was preferred for the avoidance of doubt, and to refer to in the event of dispute. The really stupid bit is that even if you agree with a customer that you are, say, going to supply and install an outside light, and no-one disputes that, and it's not in writing...to be fully correct, you still need the cooling-off paperwork.
On a lighter note, how many cases can any of us remember where the customer tried to get out of paying by relying on the lack of cooling-off paperwork?
Maybe you ought to serve those papers on every job, but in the real world, you won't. I think it would be a fair rule of thumb to serve them on any job where you are having a written quotation/estimate/contract, and don't bother for wee jobs where, at worst, you can stand the loss. Remember, if you do a job, don't get paid, and sue the customer, then if that takes place outwith the 14 day period and the customer hasn't invoked the cooling-off legislation, you are entitled to be paid regardless of your failure on the paperwork.
Oh...Trading Standards? They are brilliant...NOT!

On a lighter note, how many cases can any of us remember where the customer tried to get out of paying by relying on the lack of cooling-off paperwork?

Maybe very few so far... but more and more savvy consumers, perhaps reading this thread (or the other, main one about this topic) are probably storing this little nugget of information about their rights, and might use it in the future.

Reply to 14 Day cooling off period sample in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net