Discuss 16th Edition in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

A

Aerlingus

For those of us who hold 16th Edition certification. Do we at any stage need to update to 17th Edition? Surely its only a few changes to the questions that we had on the 16th Edition exam paper? Therefore it does seem a waste of time and hard earned money having to re-sit the exam that we have already passed! Comments please chaps. :cool:

id say yes you do need to update at some stage. otherwise you cant say your qulaifed to the 17th, whether you know the regs back to front or not.

I havn't done the course yet but I agree it's a must and there are quite a few changes.

Admittedly there are quite a few changes but they cannot be deflecting that far away from the 16th Edition Regs. Surely we just need a refresher course just to enlighten us as to what has changed? Anyway dont we spend enough time flicking through regs books as it is? It just seems to be a big money making scheme between the various governing bodies which already costs a fortune in membership fees/certificates each year. I do my job to the best I can and I will never ever know the regulations off by heart. Am I right or am I wrong? :rolleyes:

You will have to sit the 17th at some stage in order to still be considered 'competent' as such. There are quite a few changes in the 17th too. Yes, it is a license to make more money out of us but then again, that is rip-off Britain for you and we are well used to it. Face facts, we are all in the same boat and I took the view that I had to have it so got it out of the way last July.

I agree with Cirrus.
The corse I am taking soon is a two day upgrade to 17th about 200 notes + exam.

Mike

I am not disagreeing with Cirus as he is entitled to his point of view. I am just saying that surely we just need an exam on the new 17th Regs and thats it. Surely if they ask us any 16th edition questions then what is the point?

Cirrus did the exam have any 2381 questions in the 2382 exam?

All my Q's were about updates so relevant only to the 2382 and not about 16th ed.

on the subject anyone got an idea how long the c&g certificate takes to come through. sat 17th exam well before july but no cert as yet. anyone had theirs or do i need to chase it up?cheers

Things have changed since I passed my driving test. Dont have to re-take it, still competent? Engineering has changed since I passed my City and Guilds in Mechanical Engineering, still competent? The regs change in BS7671 and now im not competent? Beats me! Do you get my drift. I just think we are all being shafted. If you have been out of the industry for a long period then I agree with a re-test. But if you are in the industry day in day out then why do we have to prove to be competent. You dont forget the regs that you use everyday. You forget the ones you DONT use every day. Therefore refer to manual.

Things have changed since I passed my driving test. Dont have to re-take it, still competent? Engineering has changed since I passed my City and Guilds in Mechanical Engineering, still competent? The regs change in BS7671 and now im not competent? Beats me! Do you get my drift. I just think we are all being shafted. If you have been out of the industry for a long period then I agree with a re-test. But if you are in the industry day in day out then why do we have to prove to be competent. You dont forget the regs that you use everyday. You forget the ones you DONT use every day. Therefore refer to manual.

16TH Edition came out about 15 years ago.......... Things change and we have to move with them.

Take your 17th and be surprised how much you've forgotton

And in another 15 years we can all complain about the 18th Edition and how nothing much as changed!!;)

Mark

16TH Edition came out about 15 years ago.......... Things change and we have to move with them.

Take your 17th and be surprised how much you've forgotton

And in another 15 years we can all complain about the 18th Edition and how nothing much as changed!!;)

Mark

Take my 17th and be surprised how much I have forgotten?

Thats my point!!! What your saying is that it is all 16th reg stuff? Otherwise you wouldnt have forgot it?

Do you get me?

Stop whining and sit it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:p

On subject of certs, my 2382 cert took 2 weeks to come through but my 2330 L3 took 4 bleedin months!

I am not disagreeing with Cirus as he is entitled to his point of view. I am just saying that surely we just need an exam on the new 17th Regs and thats it. Surely if they ask us any 16th edition questions then what is the point?

Cirrus did the exam have any 2381 questions in the 2382 exam?

The is NO 16th questions it is on the 17th

Take my 17th and be surprised how much I have forgotten?

Thats my point!!! What your saying is that it is all 16th reg stuff? Otherwise you wouldnt have forgot it?

Do you get me?

Yep i get you!

BUT after 15 years i had forgotten stuff, so if i had not taken my 17th and refreshed my learning on regulations.
How could i say i was compatent

Do you get me?

Mark

Reply to 16th Edition in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock