Discuss AM2 in 2 days... in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hello
1. When taking R1+R2 readings on the AM2 composite installation are we expected to take the reading at the supply side of the FCU (S-plan & CO detector circuits) or at the farthest point of the circuit? I know with EICRs we only test to the FCU.
2. With the fault finding they list 4 fault types.
Short Circuit
Misconnection
High resistance
Open circuit
Can I assume there will be no L-CPC or N-CPC faults? What is their definition of a high resistance? >0.5 Ohms?
3. Do they expect you to use coloured tape/sleeving on SY cable cores? Numbering is permitted by BS 7671

Thanks in advance
Andrew

Last edited:
Hello
1. When taking R1+R2 readings on the AM2 composite installation are we expected to take the reading at the supply side of the FCU (S-plan & CO detector circuits) or at the farthest point of the circuit? I know with EICRs we only test to the FCU.
Short Circuit
Misconnection
High resistance
Open circuit
Can I assume there will be no L-CPC or N-CPC faults? What is their definition of a high resistance? >0.5 Ohms?
3. Do they expect you to use coloured tape/sleeving on SY cable cores? Numbering is permitted by BS 7671

Thanks in advance
Andrew
This should have been covered by your Tutor Andrew, not having ever done this course I can't or shouldn't comment, is there nobody you can speak to, another member of the course? I sure someone will come along and provide an answer, in the mean time try and get access to the trainee area, one of the Mods should be able to help.

Hello
Short Circuit
Misconnection
High resistance
Open circuit

Thanks in advance
Andrew

IIRC....
1. R1+R2.... for the heating, at the supply side... for the CO detector, at the detector... the reason being we can't always access the end point in a boiler (combustion circuit and all that) but in every other case should should endeavour to do it at the further point.

2. L-CPC and N-CPC could be considered misconnection. And No, you cannot assume that. The definition of high resistance will be dependent on the fault. You should read the fault carefully, pick appropriate test gear and proceed.

3. I sleeved mine regardless of the numbers... sleeving is easier to see. Make the next persons job easier :)

IIRC....
1. R1+R2.... for the heating, at the supply side... for the CO detector, at the detector... the reason being we can't always access the end point in a boiler (combustion circuit and all that) but in every other case should should endeavour to do it at the further point.

2. L-CPC and N-CPC could be considered misconnection. And No, you cannot assume that. The definition of high resistance will be dependent on the fault. You should read the fault carefully, pick appropriate test gear and proceed.

3. I sleeved mine regardless of the numbers... sleeving is easier to see. Make the next persons job easier :)
Thanks for your help. I just wondered if they expected me to take an R1+R2 at the solar contoller, solar pump etc...
L-N could be considered misconnection, but they are using the terminology 'Short Circuit'
Therefore if there is a L-CPC OF N-CPC fault then we should be using the correct terminology (Earth fault)

Thanks for your help. I just wondered if they expected me to take an R1+R2 at the solar contoller, solar pump etc...
L-N could be considered misconnection, but they are using the terminology 'Short Circuit'
Therefore if there is a L-CPC OF N-CPC fault then we should be using the correct terminology (Earth fault)

Misconnection, yes... not appropriate really to L-CPC or N-CPC, more appropriate for the data connection for example where you may have pins connected incorrectly.

You have to provide three things for each... the type of fault, the location and the fix, so you can be very clear. You could describe it as a 'Short circuit line to neutral' or 'Earth fault line to earth'. And don't forget to include 'and retest' as the last thing in every fix.

When I initially read the subject I thought you were going to attempt to complete it in 2 days... it is possible without too much stress (I managed it without any real headaches apart from not being used to the MFT we were using and how different it was in operation to my Megger 1731 and how crap the tools are).

If it's not already been said to you... read the candidate guide in detail. It will tell you everything you need to know, and I would leave the heating wiring centre until last (run the supplies in and any other cables that need pulling through conduit while you've got the singles out).

Good luck :)

Hello
Short Circuit
Misconnection
High resistance
Open circuit

Thanks in advance
Andrew
1. from the furthest point
2. also crossed connections, usually on the cat 5. you will get IR faults.
3. any sleeving if available or tape.
I used to be an AM2 assessor so be open minded.

1. from the furthest point
2. also crossed connections, usually on the cat 5. you will get IR faults.
3. any sleeving if available or tape.
I used to be an AM2 assessor so be open minded.
So you are saying that the R1+R2 at the FCU on the S plan circuit is not sufficient because it is not the furthest point?

Misconnection, yes... not appropriate really to L-CPC or N-CPC, more appropriate for the data connection for example where you may have pins connected incorrectly.

You have to provide three things for each... the type of fault, the location and the fix, so you can be very clear. You could describe it as a 'Short circuit line to neutral' or 'Earth fault line to earth'. And don't forget to include 'and retest' as the last thing in every fix.

When I initially read the subject I thought you were going to attempt to complete it in 2 days... it is possible without too much stress (I managed it without any real headaches apart from not being used to the MFT we were using and how different it was in operation to my Megger 1731 and how crap the tools are).

If it's not already been said to you... read the candidate guide in detail. It will tell you everything you need to know, and I would leave the heating wiring centre until last (run the supplies in and any other cables that need pulling through conduit while you've got the singles out).

I am not looking to finish in 2 days lol. I start the assessment this Monday and am confident as I have spent the previous 5 years working as an eletrical inspector at commercial&industrial sites, including hazardous areas (CompEx). I know the AM2 accessors are not trying to trick us but students are making errors which are going unnoticed. For example, when conducting Ze,Zs, RCD testing do the candidates check that the MFT has been set for 50v touch voltage? I am used to having to set my Megger to 25v when working at fuel filling stations. I bet nobody ever noticed this before.
Also polarity doesn't have to be confirmed by operating switches, you can do a visual instead (GN3).

I am not looking to finish in 2 days lol. I start the assessment this Monday and am confident as I have spent the previous 5 years working as an eletrical inspector at commercial&industrial sites, including hazardous areas (CompEx). I know the AM2 accessors are not trying to trick us but students are making errors which are going unnoticed. For example, when conducting Ze,Zs, RCD testing do the candidates check that the MFT has been set for 50v touch voltage? I am used to having to set my Megger to 25v when working at fuel filling stations. I bet nobody ever noticed this before. Also polarity doesn't have to be confirmed by operating switches, you can do a visual instead (GN3).
[automerge]1593268521[/automerge]
IIRC....

Is it necessary to mention that SY cable is a departure from the regs? I would normally leave the Designer section blank on the EIC because, well I didn't design it!

Last edited:
I am not looking to finish in 2 days lol. I start the assessment this Monday and am confident as I have spent the previous 5 years working as an eletrical inspector at commercial&industrial sites, including hazardous areas (CompEx). I know the AM2 accessors are not trying to trick us but students are making errors which are going unnoticed. For example, when conducting Ze,Zs, RCD testing do the candidates check that the MFT has been set for 50v touch voltage? I am used to having to set my Megger to 25v when working at fuel filling stations. I bet nobody ever noticed this before.
Also polarity doesn't have to be confirmed by operating switches, you can do a visual instead (GN3).

I am not looking to finish in 2 days lol. I start the assessment this Monday and am confident as I have spent the previous 5 years working as an eletrical inspector at commercial&industrial sites, including hazardous areas (CompEx). I know the AM2 accessors are not trying to trick us but students are making errors which are going unnoticed. For example, when conducting Ze,Zs, RCD testing do the candidates check that the MFT has been set for 50v touch voltage? I am used to having to set my Megger to 25v when working at fuel filling stations. I bet nobody ever noticed this before. Also polarity doesn't have to be confirmed by operating switches, you can do a visual instead (GN3).

Is it necessary to mention that SY cable is a departure from the regs? I would normally leave the Designer section blank on the EIC because, well I didn't design it!
operating the switches is so that you are testing all of the circuit and not just up to the switch. SY is not a departure. regards An ex AM2 assessor.
[automerge]1593276622[/automerge]
you test up to the boiler mains feed, as with all the others. Regards Ex AM2 Examiner.

operating the switches is so that you are testing all of the circuit and not just up to the switch. SY is not a departure. regards An ex AM2 assessor.
[automerge]1593276622[/automerge]

you test up to the boiler mains feed, as with all the others. Regards Ex AM2 Examiner.
Hi Ed
YY/SY/CY cables are a departure if used for fixed wiring as not recognised by BS 7671. Regards
Andrew, Electrical Inspector

Hi Ed
YY/SY/CY cables are a departure if used for fixed wiring as not recognised by BS 7671. Regards
Andrew, Electrical Inspector

And I did enquire why it was featured in the AM2 when it's a departure... my assessor agreed and simply stated 'because it's in the test'.

Until I saw the SparkyNinja webinar on CompEx/ATEX Electricians v normal Electricians, while I can say it would have crossed my mind I would not of known it had to be lower. I have put a post in the Need Help section asking Dan if we could have a CompEx/ATEX section for bits of knowledge like this - of course nothing is a replacement for a course but it helps give insight.

Reply to AM2 in 2 days... in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock