Discuss Am2 prep/help in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi All,

I have my am2 booked for the first week in February, I was hoping to see if I could get any advice or tips from anyone at all.
Iv been studying the sections that are in the am2 and the bit that worries me the most is the fault finding and the online exam.
I'm quite confident in the practical (bar the sy gland as its something I haven't done much)
I'm ok with the safe isolation procedure, also the sequence of testing I'm a bit unsure of.

Any advice would be appreciated!

Grab a copy of the Unite Inspection and Testing book, £7 and has it all laid out nicely (you could use GN3 as well but the Unite guide fits nicely in your pocket or MFT box ?

Hi All,

I have my am2 booked for the first week in February, I was hoping to see if I could get any advice or tips from anyone at all.
Iv been studying the sections that are in the am2 and the bit that worries me the most is the fault finding and the online exam.
I'm quite confident in the practical (bar the sy gland as its something I haven't done much)
I'm ok with the safe isolation procedure, also the sequence of testing I'm a bit unsure of.

Hi All,

Could anyone indicate what protective devices are used in the AM2 ? The socket circuit uses RCBO the rest of the circuits are MCBs but is the main switch a 3 or 4 pole isolator or an RCD?

mine had a three pole and neutral isolator, which stays locked the whole time anyway. You lock it they check it, and you then explained and show them how you did it and you test that the power is isolated and you get a nice big tick in box one.
The fault finding is not hard, they don’t really care how you find the fault long as you give them the right answer, and tell them what tests you are doing to find the fault. they are not over your shoulder all the time watching.
The online exam is very easy and most of the answers you can work out, they alway give you one answer which is defo not going to be right. one which gets you thinking and two close together.

Don’t over think the AM2, follow the documents they give you, it explains everything, you even get a wiring diagram for the heating, hot water controls and the solar panels. Take your time and be neat and tidy while doing it.
There are lots of breaks that you can ask other people on the course how they are doing stuff, just don’t ask in the class room.

Last edited:
Could anyone indicate what protective devices are used in the AM2 ? The socket circuit uses RCBO the rest of the circuits are MCBs but is the main switch a 3 or 4 pole isolator or an RCD?
The main Switch is a 4pole isolator
[automerge]1579220370[/automerge]
Tips:

I did my am2 a few months ago people say take your time just don't take too much time as I was running out towards the end. probably best way to tackle it is to start on the SWA COMANDO, DOL SY, AND S-PLAN FIRST get the longer bits out the way. Then move on to the rest and work at a good pace.

Fault finding aint that hard just make sure you use your continuity tester and test each end for polarity. short circuit or open circuit will be a common fault.
I had one fault which took me the longest to correct if you get a fault saying the DOL Motor is rotating in the opposite direction it is normally something to do with the NEUTRAL so be sure to check that the neutral goes to where it needs to in the DOL.

Whilst bonding the Gas and water be sure to put the bonding clamps on the correct position on the pipes.

The LV and fire alarm share the same middle compartment on the trunking.

Label each end of the ring final so it will make it easier for your r1+r2 test later.

Read the drawing, it will tell you specifically what cables to use.

I use 2.5 CPC in singles as I would normally use it if I was wiring a ring on site but the drawing will specifically tell you what size to use where I checked again after I pulled my first leg that it was 1.5 CPC I needed.

Use lugs where you can, the DOL outgoing side where the SY connects to be sure to Lug that end up. as I forgot as I was rushing.

Any help brushing up on Testing use GN3.

Last edited:
Tips:

I did my am2 a few months ago people say take your time just don't take too much time as I was running out towards the end. probably best way to tackle it is to start on the SWA COMANDO, DOL SY, AND S-PLAN FIRST get the longer bits out the way. Then move on to the rest and work at a good pace.

Fault finding aint that hard just make sure you use your continuity tester and test each end for polarity. short circuit or open circuit will be a common fault.
I had one fault which took me the longest to correct if you get a fault saying the DOL Motor is rotating in the opposite direction it is normally something to do with the NEUTRAL so be sure to check that the neutral goes to where it needs to in the DOL.

Whilst bonding the Gas and water be sure to put the bonding clamps on the correct position on the pipes.

Label each end of the ring final so it will make it easier for your r1+r2 test later.

I use 2.5 CPC in singles as I would normally use it if I was wiring a ring on site but the drawing will specifically tell you what size to use where I checked again after I pulled my first leg that it was 1.5 CPC I needed.

Use lugs where you can, the DOL outgoing side where the SY connects to be sure to Lug that end up. as I forgot as I was rushing.

Thanks very much for the reply.
In regards to the fault finding how many fault are there?
Do they put one on every circuit?

Tips:

Hi Sam, having a brain firt, can you please explain what you mean by making sure the N goes to the right place on the DOL? I'm not sure what you are getting at.

Thanks very much for the reply.
In regards to the fault finding how many fault are there?
Do they put one on every circuit?

7 faults, you need to get 5 correct for a pass
You could get 2 or 3 faults on 1 circuit or 0, it's totally random

Hi All,

Hope you passed. If not let me know what you need to re-sit and I will give you some help.

You are given the info for the breakers in th information pack that is on th wall. The main switch is a switch not an rcd, 3p&N.
[automerge]1587196035[/automerge]
Got cancelled due to the outbreak, never mind, at least have my health,will take it one day. Just trying to keep the info fresh.
I do an AM2 training day if you are interested.

Reply to Am2 prep/help in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock