Discuss Amendment 3 and clipsal c-bus? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Over the past few years i've been installing some Clipsal C-Bus home automation systems in some of the new houses i've been wiring. Usually these are bespoke, rural mansions.

The last project i had included over 100 lighting switch's, 50 electric blind relays, 50 electric curtain relays etc. What i normally do is get a local panel building company to construct a custom made panel (freestanding, metal) to house all the Dimer packs, relays units, rcbo's etc. The last panel was 600 mod's in size with a further 240 mod panel in the garage.

I have another project starting next week and although the metal amd3 consumer units don't become mandatory until january, it got me thinking that this set-up would no longer comply with regulations.

Would you find it acceptable to have a freestanding, metal panel with side-opening doors and if not, what would you recommend in this situation?

Yes, and as far as i can see, it is a domestic premises, albeit not your average domestic premises, and it will be a "consumer unit or similar switchgear assembly". I know in this particular project, it doesn't matter but in future projects what would the solution be?

The regs say to fit a non combustible CU or put it in a non combustible cabinet. If your cabinets are of a non combustible material, then they should be OK. You said they are metal, so it is likely they are non combustible.

Not quite as clear cut as that in terms of the construction of the enclosure, would it have meal covers as well, i.e. like the 3rd Amend CU's being sold by the likes of MK & Wylex?

The panels do have metal doors, these are lockable but are side hinged and all the amd 3 compliant boards seem to be top hinged. I know the actual reg doesn't state that covers need to be top hinged but why are all manufacturers using the same design for covers? What would you do? I'm leaning towards fitting the panels as i've always done, based on the fact that they are metal and non-combustible

The panels do have metal doors, these are lockable but are side hinged and all the amd 3 compliant boards seem to be top hinged. I know the actual reg doesn't state that covers need to be top hinged but why are all manufacturers using the same design for covers? What would you do? I'm leaning towards fitting the panels as i've always done, based on the fact that they are metal and non-combustible
it will be fine.

the manufacturers are just going overboard, technically it is a control panel not a fuseboard.

the board itself wont fall under bs7671 it will fall under different regulations

it will be fine.

the manufacturers are just going overboard, technically it is a control panel not a fuseboard.

the board itself wont fall under bs7671 it will fall under different regulations
I would want to get clarification on that. 'Similar switchgear assemblies' is where this enclosures might fall under, the OP talks of it having RCBO's in. The problem I've found is the interpretation of the reg. For example, I asked Elecsa technical whether a Wago DRE-5 din rail enclosure would be classified under the reg (used for CU extension). I was told it was, only to watch a Niceic/Elecsa 'webinair', where Darren Staniforth said such enclosures are not. I'm still awaiting clarification. Think the OP should seek clarification from the manufacturer to start with.

Reply to Amendment 3 and clipsal c-bus? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net