Discuss AMFM Facilities Management in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi Folks

Anyone done work for AMFM Facilities Management? I've had a call from them asking if I could fix a few bathroom cabinets that have been wrongly wired - apparently by a company which has now been taken over by another, who want to put this right.

I'm interested in knowing:

1. Whether this company is genuine/do they pay (not another LOM?) and

2. Can the fault corrections they are proposing be done whilst complying with the regs?

I'll explain the second question a bit - they are asking for a bathroom cabinet (fitted in a number of properties) to be earthed, and, if it is in the zones, to have an isolating transformer fitted - I think you'll all see the issue there! Also, it seems they want the transformer fitting within the cabinet. Now I'm going to read around this as I know airing cupboards count as outside the zones, even if they are within 600mm of the bath/shower, but I wonder if any of you have any knowledge/opinion on whether the inside of a bathroom cabinet would also be outside the zones (it seems a bit more like furniture to me, as opposed to an airing cupboard which seems almost like another room).

1) Never heard of them, but all these third party companies are dodgy in my opinion.

2) Are we talking of a bathroom cabinet, aka a vanity unit? If so, it's a luminaire and needs to be suitable for the zone (or not) it's installed in. Just changing its supply is not going to alter its IP rating IMO.

1) Never heard of them, but all these third party companies are dodgy in my opinion.

The company appears to be working for Travis Perkins in this instance, not sure if they would be more inclined to do some checks than individuals contacting the likes of LOM. None the less I'd probably have passed on it if I wasn't seriously short of work at the moment.

2) Are we talking of a bathroom cabinet, aka a vanity unit? If so, it's a luminaire and needs to be suitable for the zone (or not) it's installed in. Just changing its supply is not going to alter its IP rating IMO.

I believe some a bit like this but with a light and a shaver socket:

Wilko Bathroom Double Cabinet Mirror Door - http://www.wilko.com/bathroom-cabinets/wilko-bathroom-double-cabinet-mirror-door/invt/0428213

and some mirrors a bit like this

NEW Details | Order Item - http://www.mirrorworld.co.uk/catalogue/detailPage.asp?name=SL062

The impression I get is that it is suitable for zone 2 but that the manufacturer specifies a transformer to be fitted within it for the shaver socket to comply with BS EN 61558-2-5, while the metal body of the cabinet still requires an earth. That's just my impression from the bumph I have been sent by AMFM, I haven't actually seen the things or the installers' manuals.

where's this company based?

33 Sheen Lane, London according to their website. Looking on Google Earth they actually have a shop front with their name on it. I haven't managed to find any info on their financial position, when they were founded, or anyone else talking about them.

I don't think I would involve myself in changing the use of a product. It's either designed to be installed in Zone 2 or it's not, and the same goes for the shaver socket.

It seems they are a cleaning company of sorts, perhaps branching out into other areas, using yourself. If they were asking you to remove an unsuitable product and install a suitably rated luminaire, fit for purpose, that would be reasonable. Doesn't seem to be asking that of. Who installed the inappropriate product in the first place, you have to ask yourself, looks like they ball'sed up.

Think I would tend to steer clear, however tempting the money is.

Agree with Midwest - sounds like they want you to make a change to a purchased product - this is dodgy territory.

Thanks for the replies! I have emailed AMFM and asked if they can send copies of the installation manuals for the products. If they can't, or if what they are asking for does not make sense in the light of the manuals, I think I will be taking your advice. Either way, I'll keep you posted.

Thanks again

Sam

I've declined it - their response to my request for installation instructions was that they are not required as we will not (contrary to their original instructions) be taking the units off the wall! Naturally, I pointed out that the regs require the instructions to be taken into consideration.

The instructions AMFM sent also make no mention of RCDs, bonding, insulation resistance tests, etc, etc, so I drew their attention to this as well.

Thanks again folks!

Reply to AMFM Facilities Management in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net