Discuss Any computer buffs out there in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

M

Mac

Seemed to have messed my computer up.I have lost all my avatars and pictures from my web pages.Not pictures from my album.Hope this makes sense to someone.Tried everything and everywhere but each time i hit a brick wall:eek:

You could try Start/ All programs/ Accessories/ System tools/ System restore/ That should show you some dates to restore from, prior to any changes you have made to your system and possibly get rid of your problem. .

Just reading through your post again. Is it possible that your isp connection is running slow. That usually shows as the graphics taking forever to load. Tiscali is having problems at the moment. You could try a speedcheck on www.speedtester.bt.com

Last edited by a moderator:
Get rid of Internet Explorer, and get Fire Fox it is a lot better and safer than IE plus you can customise it as much as you like.

To solve your problem though try clearing your history and cookies sometimes this causes wee problems like that.

You could try Start/ All programs/ Accessories/ System tools/ System restore/ That should show you some dates to restore from, prior to any changes you have made to your system and possibly get rid of your problem. .

Just reading through your post again. Is it possible that your isp connection is running slow. That usually shows as the graphics taking forever to load. Tiscali is having problems at the moment. You could try a speedcheck on www.speedtester.bt.com

Tried everything mate,can't even do a system restore:eek:

Sorted it now,had to reinstall windows and all the drivers.Took ages.Trying to get a copy of Windows XP was a nightmare.They wanted nearly £80 in the shop for a copy:eek:

Sorted it now,had to reinstall windows and all the drivers.Took ages.Trying to get a copy of Windows XP was a nightmare.They wanted nearly £80 in the shop for a copy:eek:

A bit excessive, shouldn't have needed to do that. Anyway since you have done it can I just suggest a few things.

Get Avast Anti Virus or AVG, it is free and better than Norton as it updates more regularly.
Get Spybot Search and Destroy another free program that is great for maintaining your registry as well as blocking spy ware
Firefox is a great browser and you can customise it until your heart is content but a few add-ons you should download for it would be No Scripts, Ad Blocker and IE Tab.

Windows Defender is another must, make sure you have it on all the time.

Don't go for any software you pay for like Norton or McAfee as they may look and sound good but they aren't you end up having yearly subscriptions and sometimes they won't pick something up as where with Avast or AVG you get them for free and they pick up 99% of dangerous files.

I have used Avast for a good few years and never had a virus but before that I used Norton and in that time got a few and Norton done nothing about it I had to down load other programs to get rid of the virus.

A bit excessive, shouldn't have needed to do that. Anyway since you have done it can I just suggest a few things.

Get Avast Anti Virus or AVG, it is free and better than Norton as it updates more regularly.
Get Spybot Search and Destroy another free program that is great for maintaining your registry as well as blocking spy ware
Firefox is a great browser and you can customise it until your heart is content but a few add-ons you should download for it would be No Scripts, Ad Blocker and IE Tab.

Windows Defender is another must, make sure you have it on all the time.

Don't go for any software you pay for like Norton or McAfee as they may look and sound good but they aren't you end up having yearly subscriptions and sometimes they won't pick something up as where with Avast or AVG you get them for free and they pick up 99% of dangerous files.

I have used Avast for a good few years and never had a virus but before that I used Norton and in that time got a few and Norton done nothing about it I had to down load other programs to get rid of the virus.
Cheers mate,i was using most of the above anyway.Have Norton for 3 months trial at the mo.Seems ok.Used Kaspersky before and they were brilliant.Don't know what firefox is like,i've always used Internet Explorer.Spybot Search and Destroy was brilliant.Had problems with AVG.Had a virus last year and it took me ages to sort it.Downloaded Windows Live Onecare and it sorted it straight away

Cheers mate,i was using most of the above anyway.Have Norton for 3 months trial at the mo.Seems ok.Used Kaspersky before and they were brilliant.Don't know what firefox is like,i've always used Internet Explorer.Spybot Search and Destroy was brilliant.Had problems with AVG.Had a virus last year and it took me ages to sort it.Downloaded Windows Live Onecare and it sorted it straight away

Honestly get away from Norton and get Avast, I have found it is much better and never had a virus with it most of the people I know use it as well and find that they are virus free.

Reply to Any computer buffs out there in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock