Discuss Any conlock converts on here? in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

So do you just use standard conduit but use the Conlock fittings?
That’s what they were doing at THFC.
Not sure if the cut off the threaded ends or just pushed them into the fittings?
The thickness of the walls of conlock couplers and adapters is about the same as that of the boxes. Quite chunky compared to threaded couplers.

That’s what they were doing at THFC.
Not sure if the cut off the threaded ends or just pushed them into the fittings?
The thickness of the walls of conlock couplers and adapters is about the same as that of the boxes. Quite chunky compared to threaded couplers.

I bet that was never in the specification. Probably brought in as a labour saving excercise half-way throw due to the over run.

That and can then get a load of monkeys in with allen keys to wack conduit up.

Liberty.

I started there on the second of January this year.
They were using then and had been using it the year before.
From what I could tell, Imtech had been using it from the start.

I can understand the attraction of the speed and ease of installation, and having built many structures with Kee Klamp tube I can believe that Conlock will do the job up to a point. But no matter how well it does or doesn't work, it feels like a bodge because for nearly a century, pin-grip, lug-grip and other types of slip conduit fittings were considered unreliable for maintaining continuity and could not be used as a CPC. For cheap slip jobs there was also 'close joint' tube, i.e. unwelded, that obviously couldn't be threaded and didn't exclude moisture and air from the cables. Only domestic and budget commercial work ever specced slip conduit and many contracts specifically prohibited it, so any pin grip system would definitely seem like a corner-cutting exercise.

Seem like you could only use it for exposed installations then, surely all of the screw joints would have to be readily accessible to ensure earth continuity.
The company are advertising that it’s been used on some fairly major sites.
I doubt that periodic checking of the tightness of the grub screws has been factored in to any costings.
I also know that on one site, that many of the grub screws are or will be inaccessible.

The company are advertising that it’s been used on some fairly major sites.
I doubt that periodic checking of the tightness of the grub screws has been factored in to any costings.
I also know that on one site, that many of the grub screws are or will be inaccessible.

I would imagine there are a lot lying on the floor too

Out of interest what size are the screws that hold this lot together ? Are they pointed ends ? Are they treated with threadloc or similar ?

It was used in a new build entertainment venue locally a few years ago.
Working on a few shows there I’ve seen a number of conduit joints which have fallen apart leaving the singles inside as the only thing holding up some parts of the conduit. They’ve probably been knocked a few times in the normal use of the installation, but they certainly didn’t stand up to it!

I can see it being ok for installations where the conduit is more decorative than functional, but not where actual mechanical strength is required

I'm curious why anyone would even use this. It's obviously not explosion proof or raintight, what purpose is rigid piping if not for those 2 purposes??

Mechanical strength.

It's not to bad to install, its quicker and if your staff havent the skills it's a no brainer.

I'm curious why anyone would even use this. It's obviously not explosion proof or raintight, what purpose is rigid piping if not for those 2 purposes??
Some customers only want the decorative effect of galvanised conduit in their oak barn garages etc , so the mechanical strength is not an issue as everything is fixed rigidly

I've mainly used conlock working down in Ireland. It is much much faster and easier to work with than normal conduit.

Makes fitting so much simpler. Doesn't matter if your cuts ends aren't perfectly square or if you're slightly off with your measurements as you have a couple mm inside your coupler / box.

No threading required just a small set/grub screw that needs to be tightened. As long as you make sure they are done up nice and tight it's very unlikely that the conduit will come apart.

The only experience I've had of it was in Dublin. It really takes the skill out of the job, but then most of the people i was working with barely had the ability to work out what cables were required for the circuit never mind putting up a simple piece of conduit. Don't think I'd ever use it myself, grub screw wouldn't be up to anywhere near as much abuse as a threaded joint.

The only experience I've had of it was in Dublin. It really takes the skill out of the job, but then most of the people i was working with barely had the ability to work out what cables were required for the circuit never mind putting up a simple piece of conduit. Don't think I'd ever use it myself, grub screw wouldn't be up to anywhere near as much abuse as a threaded joint.
What skill is there is cutting and threading pipe though?

Reply to Any conlock converts on here? in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock