Discuss Are Grommets necessary in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I wanted to introduce myself to you all and was hoping to learn a few things from you guys. My name is Roland and I am a fully qualified gas safe engineer but looking in learning another trade. I like to learn more about electrics and was thinking to sign up on here.

I was wondering if anyone of you would mind if I picked some brains in the future.

My first question should be very simple for you all do I hired an electrician to carry out a full re wire and he has used those metal boxes for concrete walls. He run his wires but did not use any grommets and I was thinking it’s not major but could that lead to an issue in the further?

Thank you

Regards Roland

Short answer.. yes.

Sharp metal edges can over time work through the sheath and insulation.

I have seen many old installations without grommets and without issues.

There was a case in, I think, a care home a while back where one of the contributing factors to a fire was lack of grommet.
If my memory serves other factors were lack of RCD protection and flammable materials in the same cupboard as the DB.

I hired an electrician to carry out a full re wire and he has used those metal boxes for concrete walls. He run his wires but did not use any grommets and I was thinking it’s not major but could that lead to an issue in the further?

I have no grommets in any of my metal back boxes and I have not had any issues with that over the last 20 odd years.
If I was to have a re-wire now I would ask for grommets.
All the cables are fixed into the wall so I can't see them moving.
Not sure if there is a specific reg about having them thought.

Oh, and welcome to the forum mate..

Welcome.
I have a real interest in gas and heating systems and did the gas course a few years ago.
When I say did it, I didn’t actually finish it because I left the employee I was with.

In my opinion missing grommets probably not too big an issue, but it’s definately not good practice.
My thinking if he is not doing this minor easy thing to cut corners, what else is he not doing. I cannot see a reason not to do it. It takes seconds and they cost about 3 p.

Pete

grommets are fitted to stop the metal back boxes chafing the cables. however, once plastered in, there's little chance of that happening, so , although not best practice, it's not really an issue. ( I always fit them,,,, liar liar, youre bums on fire. ;);););).).

It’s a hazard. The raw metal edge of the box could wear through the outer sheath of the cable over time and short out.

Your electrician sounds like a short cut merchant. Tell him to do it properly.
A rewire is notifiable work. Which Competent person scheme is he/she registered with? You can complain to them if it’s not sorted.

Make sure that you retain a good chunk of final payment. Make sure you get a proper installation certificate from the electrician and a Building Regulations Certificate of Completion. The jobs not finished until you have these b

Hi guys,

I wanted to introduce myself to you all and was hoping to learn a few things from you guys. My name is Roland and I am a fully qualified gas safe engineer but looking in learning another trade. I like to learn more about electrics and was thinking to sign up on here.

I was wondering if anyone of you would mind if I picked some brains in the future.

My first question should be very simple for you all do I hired an electrician to carry out a full re wire and he has used those metal boxes for concrete walls. He run his wires but did not use any grommets and I was thinking it’s not major but could that lead to an issue in the further?

Thank you

Regards Roland
To be honest and although I always used grommets, I was always under the impression that if the cables were fixed on entry to the box the Grommets were not a prerequisite

Yes, grommets should of been used full stop. They cost pennies.
Really annoys me when not used.
Thank you first of all to ALL guys on here. I spoke to him and he just mentioned” there's no need for the use of grommets anymore, that's an old regulation. Because the cable is double insulated there is no need”

So, as he is a trusted engineer I was thinking he would do what he supposed to do.

I am not so specific and I know sometimes there are regs which are a little bit over the top. But when you guys say it should be used I would trust your judgments. I understand the wires have go there own insulation but was thinking it would just help to prevent any issues.

Thanks again for all your input!
[automerge]1570819533[/automerge]
It’s a hazard. The raw metal edge of the box could wear through the outer sheath of the cable over time and short out.

Your electrician sounds like a short cut merchant. Tell him to do it properly.
A rewire is notifiable work. Which Competent person scheme is he/she registered with? You can complain to them if it’s not sorted.

Make sure that you retain a good chunk of final payment. Make sure you get a proper installation certificate from the electrician and a Building Regulations Certificate of Completion. The jobs not finished until you have these b
He is doing a job for my customer. I always used him in the past and he always did a great job without call backs. He is polite, updates me and treats the customer the way they should be treated. About cleaning after him it could be better :D as you all know muhaaaa :)

I just wanted to double check about the grommets as I think it would of been better but it could be something over the top. Now, I know all of you recommended to use them so I will speak to him about it.

Thank again thumbs up!!

Last edited:
I am away for the weekend so have not got my bible with me.
But I am sure it is in there that they should be used

In reality unlikely to ever cause a problem, especially if you've brought the sheath (mechanical protection) in as you should.

But it costs pence and moments and the overwhelming majority consider it good practice; the guy who can't be eff'd, how many other corners did he cut?

Not a major problem without grommets,Obs for me on a Eicr,or maybe C3.
seen it loads of times,it’s a bit like,green sleeving,switch cables not sleeved,inconsistencies throughout older properties.

Reply to Are Grommets necessary in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net