Discuss Are You Experienced? in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

B

Bane

Been noticing over the last few days that the forums are getting busier and more and more people are coming out and finding their voices. Some good stuff is being passed back and forth and everyone seems to mixing in well.

Now, we know where a lot of us have come from and where we now live but I was also wondering how long has everyone been in the game?

Me? 6 days today :)

Alright, now dig this, baby
You don't care for me, I don't a-care about that
Got a new fool, ha, I'd like to laugh at
I have only one burning desire,
let me stand next to your fire

Hey (BV=Let me stand next to your fire)
Let me stand next to your fire
(BV=Let me stand next to your fire)
Whoa, let me stand, baby, (BV=Let me stand next to your fire),
Let me stand, (BV=Let me stand next to your fire), Yeah, baby

Listen here, baby, and stop actin' so crazy
You say your mom ain't home,
it ain't my concern, Just a-play with me
and you won't get burned, I have only one itchin' desire,
let me stand next to your fire
Msssst, yeah (BV=Let me stand next to your fire)
Let me stand, baby
Let me stand
Oh, let me stand

Ow!, Ahh, move over, Rover
and let Jimi take over,
Yeah, you know what I'm talk(in') about
Yeah, get on with it, baby, Ow, Yeah
Thats what I'm talkin' about, Now dig this
Ha!, Now listen, baby
You try to give me your money,
you better save it, babe
Save it for your rainy day
I have only one burnin' desire,
let me stand next to your fire, ha
Ow (BV=Let me stand next to your fire)
Uh, let me stand
Oh, let me stand, baby
I ain't gonna do you no harm

Ow, Yeah, You better move over, baby
I ain't gonna hurt ya, baby
Ah, I ain't talk(in') with your ol' lady
Ow, Ah, yes, this is Jimi talkin' to you
Yeah, baby, Doooo

thanks for the Jimi lyrics;)

depends what you mean by 'the game'

started as an electrician 24 years ago

mainly industrial maintenance, mobile generators and plant equipment, motor control, vehicle electrics, industrial photographics, electronics etc etc etc

moved gradually more into the installation side over the years. Sort of creaped up on me without me knowing it.:rolleyes:

was testing mobile and temporary generator supplied installations, doing EIC/PIR type certificates and testing LONG before i measured Zs in someones house. Actually, I was measuring Zs long before i knew it was called Zs:)

and i was PAT testing for about 18 years before C&G 2377 (or the code of practice) came out.:cool: showing my age now.........

So...

On the whole Tony, I'd say I'm the more experienced.

Wouldn't you agree?

So...

On the whole Tony, I'd say I'm the more experienced.

Wouldn't you agree?

you got it nailed for my money, mate:D

i'm embarressed to ask questions in case you just laugh at me:eek::eek:

So tell me, in your six days, what has been the hi-light of your career so far!!!

Mine has been fixing an entire ship using two inches of equipment wire with a crop clip on each end. It had a battery back up system being charged from a TRU about the size of a room, with course and smooth thyristors in series as the outputs on a big bridge rectifier

Controlboard for the smooths had gone down, so i shorted the gate of the coarse thyristors to the smooth and the whole bloody thing hummed into life. Twenty minuites from start to finish. Job done.

Bet yours beats it though.......:)

anyway, v.drop using impedance measurements.......:rolleyes:

Pis* off Tony! Don't be asking about impedance measurements in MY thread!
You've got your own for that! :)

My highlight so far?

Constructing a tower scaffold then realising I'm not "Trained or Competent" to do it...

So I'd just have to say pulling cables.

ha ha you frikkin loon Bane! Well, I have been doing this for 30 months now and have been working as a 'qualified; spark for the last 12 months. I spent a year on commercial / industrial running jobs and the rest house bashing which is what I do now. I qualify in a couple of months and as soon as I can get my 2391 in the summer intend to try and go on my own. I found that because I am in my 30's I get a huge amount of responsibility levelled at me to the extent I have been allowed to run jobs and have had my own 'apprentices' put with me to learn off me.

I used to install mobile phones on ships some 10 years ago does that count Tony:)
Fixing the antenna up the mast while half way across the channel in a fair old swell was interesting to say the least :D

As for sparking
Used to give my old mans mate a hand when I was younger, joined the army & fell into covert comms installs during a tour, left army joined a big mobile company (can you guess who) installing & repairing mobile comms equipment & tracking systems. Picked up automotive electrics 12/24v + completed ONC electronics.
Moved onto another employer for the past 7 years, where I installed all manner of equipment into vehicles such as, mobile phones + radio muting systems (make our own mutes none of this expensive purchased kit) / two tone wailer/sirens / blue light systems / uhf & vhf + tetra & airwave radio equipment / mobile data terminals / vehicle 230v systems / splitcharge systems / battery guard systems & anything else they can think of installing into vehicles. Then theres the office equipment from BT to VOIP / data (patch pans & routers) / remote outstation equipment with ups / repairing pagers , radios , phones (other peoples TV's stereos for a beer or two ;))
& any electrical work that comes my way (Loooooooooooooooaaaaaaaaaaaaads of it)
Got me PASMA ticket (thats what you need Bane) for tower scaffold use to do those high bay lamp changes on a rainy day.

And during this period since leaving the army I kept my hand in helping a sparky mate, then put myself through 2360 1&2 - 2391 T&I - 2381 & started up on my own 4 or 5 years ago, working weekends & on days off from the full time work (keeps me busy & happy) & still learning the trade:D

Highlight of my working life sofar...........has got to be ...passing exams with distinctions, seen as I was told at school by careers bloke I'd never amount to anything.

hey, bane, have you decided what your plans are and that, I don't know whether you've gone for the course route, or college etc, get back to us cheers

Hi Luke,

Actually got a job! Started off as labourer/mate. Only been at it 6 days now. Will be starting college in Sept. doing my 2330 on day release whilst gaining experience onsite.

Got the job through a friend of a friend. Asked him for advice and he offerd me a job!

Reply to Are You Experienced? in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock