Discuss Auxiliary Equipment over-draws from pickup, shuts off radio/heater etc. in the Auto Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

agro-data

DIY
Reaction score
So I run a small group of 2017 Ram 1500 4x4 pickups, that have an electrically powered hydraulic pump installed on them for a hydraulic probe system.

The pumps are similar to this: 4-Way DC Power Unit - Electric Controls - https://absoluteautoguard.com/products/power-unit-hydraulic-12v-dc-4-way-electric?currency=CAD&variant=21567758696508&utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=google&utm_campaign=Google%20Shopping&gclid=Cj0KCQiAvqGcBhCJARIsAFQ5ke6r66-cJvZ_-2CbgpvNtS_IzK-Yi9raMRkVlPcsOeBIBe0U7RMhF1MaArvEEALw_wcB

The one on the unit I'm running into the issue with is says its rated for 270 amps, and these are tied to the 12V battery to draw power from, with a switch rated for 140amps that will trip if the system draws any more power than that.

The issue that we are running into, is that as the probe goes down, once it starts to encounter resistance, the system somehow over-draws power to the point that the truck just about shuts off, the heater/fan dies, and the radio drops out, until you stop providing power to the system and it'll come back on.

I recently replaced the battery with a new AGM battery, thinking that might be the issue, the only thing left that I can think of is maybe that the Alternator is weak, but the battery seems to be charging fine, or that somehow the switch isn't working to trip if it tries to pull more than 140 amps.

But we have similar setups on all the other trucks and haven't had the same issue.

Hoping maybe some people smarter than myself might have some ideas of what I can troubleshoot next.

Feel all the connections of the large diameter cables by hand, immediately after using the hydraulics, and see if any are warm or hot. Compare with the other trucks.
With these sort of currents, it only takes the slightest corrosion in a connector to drop a significant voltage.

Reply to Auxiliary Equipment over-draws from pickup, shuts off radio/heater etc. in the Auto Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock