Discuss Bosch professional twin pack in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Good evening all,

I have been putting it off for too long but the day really is approaching when I must replace my old faithful Bosch drill and impact driver. Not a lot wrong with the tools themselves but the old ni-cad batteries have had it and I am not prepared to replace them again.

Been looking at the Bosch professional GSB 18v li combi drill and GDR 18v li impact driver in the twin pack with 2 x 4ah batteries. Anyone else run this kit? Is it any good?

My day to day work is factory maintenance so this will be used as a home tool but I do have a lot of work coming up so it's going to get a fair bit of use.

Any opinions will be appreciated.

ATB

Chris

I run the GSB 18V LI... purchased as a twin pack with an SDS drill.

My only complaint... it can't handle the Armeg wood beavers and if I'm a bit too aggressive with my largest hole saw it can struggle. Other than that, I have no complaints.

It's been dropped a few times, battery life is awesome and it's pretty good as a screwdriver.

Thanks for your opinion on the Bosch kit, much appreciate.

Been doing a bit more research this morning and noticed some Milwaukee kit at similar prices to the Bosch kit, anybody used both and feel one is better than the other?

Thanks and atb

Chris

Good evening all,

I have been putting it off for too long but the day really is approaching when I must replace my old faithful Bosch drill and impact driver. Not a lot wrong with the tools themselves but the old ni-cad batteries have had it and I am not prepared to replace them again.

Been looking at the Bosch professional GSB 18v li combi drill and GDR 18v li impact driver in the twin pack with 2 x 4ah batteries. Anyone else run this kit? Is it any good?

My day to day work is factory maintenance so this will be used as a home tool but I do have a lot of work coming up so it's going to get a fair bit of use.

Any opinions will be appreciated.

ATB

Chris

I 've just bought the 10.8v/12V version as "separates" for home use... Not used them in anger, but I'm very pleased with first impressions of quality ect...

With Bosch rebranding their 10.8V tools as 12V, there are a lot of bargains to be had at the moment. The combi drill (skin only) was £33 delivered for instance. Plus, I wanted a light easy to carry impact driver rather than the heavier 18V version.

The tools were bought with a view to doing a wooden fencing project this summer.

I have no doubt they will work fine for this, but I suspect the combi hammer drill will be very limited for masonry/brick work, but if it is able to drill 6/7mm holes for raw plugs, I will be pleased.

I am still debating whether I need a beefy 18V drill as well and if so whether to get a combi drill or whether maybe an 18V SDS drill would better compliment what I have already...

I 've just bought the 10.8v/12V version as "separates" for home use... Not used them in anger, but I'm very pleased with first impressions of quality ect...

With Bosch rebranding their 10.8V tools as 12V, there are a lot of bargains to be had at the moment. The combi drill (skin only) was £33 delivered for instance. Plus, I wanted a light easy to carry impact driver rather than the heavier 18V version.

The tools were bought with a view to doing a wooden fencing project this summer.

I have no doubt they will work fine for this, but I suspect the combi hammer drill will be very limited for masonry/brick work, but if it is able to drill 6/7mm holes for raw plugs, I will be pleased.

I am still debating whether I need a beefy 18V drill as well and if so whether to get a combi drill or whether maybe an 18V SDS drill would better compliment what I have already...
an SDS drill is essential for drilling hard brick/concrete. no combi drill can cope, even with 6/7/mm.

I have had the cheapish Bosch blue 18V combi. It didn't last long (18 months). I then bought another Bosch 18V bare tool, as had the batts and charger etc. This time I got the metal chucked version - it is much much more robust. I occasionally use it for drilling into softer brick and it's ok, but not up to SDS standards obviously.
One option where you can get a Bosch combi with SDS is the Flexiclick system. It's pricey but pretty flexible as it is also an angle drill etc.
A lot of my tools are Bosch, but am swaying towards Makita a little nowadays. I think they possibly have more umph..

an SDS drill is essential for drilling hard brick/concrete. no combi drill can cope, even with 6/7/mm.

That's more or less what I am thinking, but thought it might cope drilling into a mortar course or into block..

Previous cottage had 18" stone walls so I ended up buying a cheap Silverline SDS for a few jobs that needed doing...

I eventually broke the trigger on it, but not before it paid for itself several times over...

I also have a heavily abused Wolf (corded) hammer drill that must be 25 years old that just keeps soldering on...

Never used a battery SDS drill so don't know how they perform. For what I want, if they can do the same jobs as a decent corded hammer drill,it would be enough for me...

To put the performance of my Bosch SDS 18V into perspective... I can get about 45 minutes of chasing out of a charge on I think a 3Ah battery. It's had no problems with drilling through a 50cm thick cottage wall and putting a 25mm hole through a wall for a large SWA cable.

Do I want a 110v SDS drill... yes, but mainly for the increased impact strength.

To put the performance of my Bosch SDS 18V into perspective... I can get about 45 minutes of chasing out of a charge on I think a 3Ah battery. It's had no problems with drilling through a 50cm thick cottage wall and putting a 25mm hole through a wall for a large SWA cable.

Do I want a 110v SDS drill... yes, but mainly for the increased impact strength.

Thanks, that's most helpful. I really don't need a corded SDS anymore, but I think an 18V version would be very handy.

My Milwaukee 18V SDS does anything I ask of it - including 117mm cores through brick cavity walls.
Combi drill handles pretty much anything.
Impact driver is excellent, the hydraulic one is very quiet as well.
I've only managed to have one problem with Milwaukee and that was I wore out a 12v drill after 7 years.

Thanks for all the input so far. I am still trying to decide between the 2, the price is fairly similar for the kit I am looking at. The Milwaukee kit does look a bit more robust but I am sure the same could be said for Bosch.

The SDS option also comes in to the equation. I have a corded SDS that comes out for the heavy stuff, I would in time though like a cordless one and the Bosch bare version is cheaper than it's Milwaukee equivalent. This can be said of most of the Bosch bare tools so adding tools to my stock will be cheaper if I go with Bosch.

Decisions, decisions, I have never been good at making my mind up!

ATB

Chris

I bought the bosch kit its ok for light work and day to day work for domestic premises.
Any heavier work I use a corded drill again a bosch.
I don't carry the impact driver as I don't see the need for it,maybe just the work I'm doing .
look for bargains I got a special off electrifix at the time. Its the set with brushes so good deal was got

Reply to Bosch professional twin pack in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net