• IMPORTANT: Please note that nobody on this forum should be seeking from or providing advice to those who are not competent and / or trained and qualified in their field (local laws permitting). There is a discussion thread on this global industry-wide matter HERE. This also has more information about the warning with regards to sharing electrical advice in some countries. By using this forum you do so in agreement to this.

Discuss Cable brands - Preferences in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi all,
Been a long time lurker and enjoyed the forum so far.
Just wondering if people have a preference for cable brands, if people stick with one brand or go for the cheapest you can find.

Hi all,
Been a long time lurker and enjoyed the forum so far.
Just wondering if people have a preference for cable brands, if people stick with one brand or go for the cheapest you can find.
What cable are you reffering too? LSF, PVC/PVC Armoured? TV, CAT6?????????

i was working on a house across the road from toolstation the other day and ran out of 1.5mm T&E.. edmundsons were closed so ran in toolstation and got a roll... what a mistake the stuff was twisted and not on the roll straight. its also very stiff and hard pvc covering on it. makes cutting and terminating a nightmare.. seemed more round than flat... bought cheap and regretted it... will have to use it up in a ceiling or attic somewhere.

don'tlike any of the crap they're shafting us with. all solid shyte. give me 7 strand every time.

Prismyan is nice cable T+E but why that stupid box they put it in. You can’t make it work so you take it out and the reel is made of cardboard the thickness of toilet roll.
I got some t+E from TLC and didn’t realise it was made in Turkey - it was lovely to work with though.
Havent tried Doncaster as I’d like to keep it UK. (Seeing that everything else is not UK)
I inherited some 2.5 LSOH and the stuff will not run out - it’s like a never ending reel - such hard work I feel for those that have to run it due to Specs requirements.

Prismyan is nice cable T+E but why that stupid box they put it in. You can’t make it work so you take it out and the reel is made of cardboard the thickness of toilet roll.
I got some t+E from TLC and didn’t realise it was made in Turkey - it was lovely to work with though.
Havent tried Doncaster as I’d like to keep it UK. (Seeing that everything else is not UK)
I inherited some 2.5 LSOH and the stuff will not run out - it’s like a never ending reel - such hard work I feel for those that have to run it due to Specs requirements.
loved the cables that stuck to gather on the roll ,till I found out the sellafane was still on it .

I don't have a massive preference, and tend to use what the wholesalers have in. Never had an issue with Prysmian or Doncaster, which are the main stuff I use. I will be avoiding the Toolstation stuff judging by Gavin's post. I did have a really crappy drum probably +5yrs ago now, where the sheath was seemingly glued to the insulation on both cores, but no problems since then..

I like the Prysmian reels as you can put it on your forearm and roll it off easily.

But if you get it tangled it’s harder to get straight again compared to Doncaster etc.

Nearly everything I have used is fine, apart from 2 rolls of prysmianwhere the other grey sheath was stuck to the inner insulation. Nightmare to strip

It's not the cable that is a problem for us any make has been ok it's the cardboard drums they used to be made from thick cardboard now are thin corrugated cardboard. I do see a varied difference in the insulation thickness although made to the standard.

Reply to Cable brands - Preferences in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Electricians Tools | Electrical Tools and Products

Thanks for visiting ElectriciansForums.net, we hope you find the Electricians Tools you're looking for. It's free to sign up to and post a question yourself to find a tool or tool supplier either local to you, or online. Our community of electricians and electrical engineers will do their best to find the best tool supplier for you.

We also have a Tiling Tools advice from the worlds largest Tiling community. And then the Plumbers Forums with Plumbers Tools Advice.

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back