Discuss Cable spiking in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

B

Bobster

Well I was looking over some pictures on my camera, and came across these photos of a job where we needed to spike a cable. They were taken on site in my last job for my apprentices log book. Just thought it might interest some of the domestic lads on here who may never have seen it before.

The purpose of spiking a cable is the last test to prove its dead and safe to work on. This in particular cable is a 4core 75mm, and it was providing a supply for a DB which was made redundant as that part of the site was removed.

The spiking gun itself:

Cable spiking {filename} | ElectriciansForums.net

As you can see in the photo it pretty much is what it says on the tin, a gun that fires a spike through the armouring of a cable and then through one or more cores, this proves absolutely that the cable is dead, and if it isn't creates a large enough fault for circuit protection to work. As you can see we are packing the lower half of the gun with lead sheeting, this is because the cable is relatively small and the gun needs to be sat tight on the cable.

This is the gun tightened onto the cable, a 0.44 calibre firing cap is then inserted into the black tube. A length of string is attached to the firing pin, everyone is moved to a safe distance away and then bang. The string is pulled causing the spike to be shot through the cable, this being the aftermath:

I'll try and find some pictures of the firing cap mechanism and apologise for these being a bit rubbish (It was the apprentices fault honest lol)

Hope it proves to be informative for someone

Rob

Nice post rob .....even for some of us older hands,

I can't remember the last time I did this must be 15-20 yrs ago. I always remember the apprentices wanted to fire it, but if memory serves me correctly you needed to be ticketed to do this.

Good pics! I take it a firearms license is needed these days?

Yes the senior engineer had one, the ammunition and spiking gun were kept locked away.

Nice post rob .....even for some of us older hands,

I can't remember the last time I did this must be 15-20 yrs ago. I always remember the apprentices wanted to fire it, but if memory serves me correctly you needed to be ticketed to do this.

Correct, although on that particular site it was just the senior engineer who authorised people.

I remember seeing something similar when i was a lad,there were these blokes from manweb isolating a side street where all the houses were being knocked down and they opened up a junction box in the pavement attached 2 heavy leads with a big knife switch on one end and ran it about 10 feet from the box,one of them closed the switch by kicking it and there was a big flash and a bang quite fascinating when you are a kid.Anyway I went and asked what they were doing and apparently they couldn,t locate the fuses for that circuit so the easiest way out was to blow them.must admit I,ve been tempted myself on some old factory boards lol.

Well I was looking over some pictures on my camera, and came across these photos of a job where we needed to spike a cable. They were taken on site in my last job for my apprentices log book. Just thought it might interest some of the domestic lads on here who may never have seen it before.

The purpose of spiking a cable is the last test to prove its dead and safe to work on. This in particular cable is a 4core 75mm, and it was providing a supply for a DB which was made redundant as that part of the site was removed.

The spiking gun itself:

As you can see in the photo it pretty much is what it says on the tin, a gun that fires a spike through the armouring of a cable and then through one or more cores, this proves absolutely that the cable is dead, and if it isn't creates a large enough fault for circuit protection to work. As you can see we are packing the lower half of the gun with lead sheeting, this is because the cable is relatively small and the gun needs to be sat tight on the cable.

This is the gun tightened onto the cable, a 0.44 calibre firing cap is then inserted into the black tube. A length of string is attached to the firing pin, everyone is moved to a safe distance away and then bang. The string is pulled causing the spike to be shot through the cable, this being the aftermath:

I'll try and find some pictures of the firing cap mechanism and apologise for these being a bit rubbish (It was the apprentices fault honest lol)

Hope it proves to be informative for someone

Rob

Thanks for that !!

I had heard about this spiking business from a retired bloke who used to do it. The pictures you've shown have made it all clear to me now, but I have to ask ..........

........... could you not have just used a neon screwdriver ?? :tongue3:

Thanks for that !!

I had heard about this spiking business from a retired bloke who used to do it. The pictures you've shown have made it all clear to me now, but I have to ask ..........

........... could you not have just used a neon screwdriver ?? :tongue3:
Shame on you Geordie, everyone knows that a voltstick is the correct tool for that job:)

Shame on you Geordie, everyone knows that a voltstick is the correct tool for that job:)

Wot's one o' them lyke ??? :whatchutalkingabout

Anyway, I'm retired ...... what's YOUR excuse for not grafting on this fine, sunny day ???

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to Cable spiking in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock