Discuss Can I daisy chain low beams, 2014 Kia Sorento in the Auto Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hello, I have a 2014 Kia Sorento and they are notorious for Headlamp issues. My Passenger side low beam is out. Everything else on that side works, Hi beam, signal, fog lights. Bulb fine, Fuse fine. Checked voltage at the main harness coming in, and it measures at .2 for just the low beam. The high beam is measuring 14.2.
My question is... To get around these issues and not have to pay for a bunch of Elec Diagnostic work, can I daisy chain the hot lead from the driverside to the passenger side, just for the lows? Im planning on running this thing into the ground and just need to get my lows working.
Any suggestions would be amazing.. Alot of people bringing up this issue, not alot of fixes avail....

most likely a relay has failed.
if you daisy chain from one to the other, you will end up with no lights when the relay or cable or both melt.
however the resulting fire will at least give you some warmth and light whilst the emergency services arrive!!

what is an IPS?

I am an electrical engineer not a mind reader!!!

Hi James, its stands for intelligent power switch. It's basically a computer controlled relay from what I understand and not replaceable. If you can point me toward a schematic or diagram to rewire my low beams independent from the main system that would be very helpful, or any ideas you may have

Inside this IPS there is likely to be some small relays soldered to the board.

If you are not willing to change the entire unit and you are trying to keep the budget tight, it may be possible to identify the relays on the board and change them.
this will require some knowledge of pcb soldering and some way of identifying the failed relay.
It may be obvious what has failed when you look inside.
bulges, melted cases etc.

I wish you luck.

Inside this IPS there is likely to be some small relays soldered to the board.
I doubt it. My car was built in the last century, and the LCM (light control module) has solid state 'relays' in the form of ICs. They are not intended to be individually replaceable, but can be, if you're handy with a soldering iron, and can get the chip.
This car is 15 years younger than mine, an although it could be said that it's less of a premium brand, I would be surprised if any 2014 car used what we would recognise as a relay.
You can't parallel the two dipped beams, because of the reasons already given, but you could take a live battery feed to pin 30 of a relay, via a 7.5A fuse, then connect pin 87 to passenger headlight, pin 86 to earth, and pin 85 to the supply to the driver's side headlamp.
This will work, and pass an MOT test, but the downside id if the feed to the driver's headlamp fails as well, you will lose both headlamps.

Reply to Can I daisy chain low beams, 2014 Kia Sorento in the Auto Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net