Discuss canon 40d in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

telectrix

-
Mentor
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
really looking to buy a s/h one. upgrade from my 10d. 3" live view screen and compatible with my EF lenses, but afaik, the only loss is theat the EF lenses don't have the image stabilization. can anyone enlighten me before i spend best part of £200 on a 40d body?

really looking to buy a s/h one. upgrade from my 10d. 3" live view screen and compatible with my EF lenses, but afaik, the only loss is theat the EF lenses don't have the image stabilization. can anyone enlighten me before i spend best part of £200 on a 40d body?
40D is a great camera in my eye's. I doubt you would be disappointed, however if you could stretch to a 50D then you would get the ability to have fine tune adjustment on your lenses which is something the 40D lacks. Regarding image stabilisation then this is only via in lens with canon. Any lens you have with IS working on your 10D will work on the later models. Hope that helps.
Martin.

what i,m saying is that the 40d will accept EF lenses, but it's only the EF-S lenses that have the image stabilization, as far as i can see.

Hi tel. Quite a few of the newer EF lenses now have IS. And not all EF-S lenses have it. However, if you have a collection of older EF lenses, then there's less chance that they'll have IS as, obviously, Canon only introduce it for new designs or re-designs.

I've used a 40D for the last few years and really like it. If you can get the corresponding battery pack/grip, it really adds to the handling for portrait orientation shots, although it adds bulk, of course, but not much weight.

http://www.canon.co.uk/For_Home/Product_Finder/Cameras/EF_Lenses/range/

Hi tel. Quite a few of the newer EF lenses now have IS. And not all EF-S lenses have it. However, if you have a collection of older EF lenses, then there's less chance that they'll have IS as, obviously, Canon only introduce it for new designs or re-designs.

I've used a 40D for the last few years and really like it. If you can get the corresponding battery pack/grip, it really adds to the handling for portrait orientation shots, although it adds bulk, of course, but not much weight.

Our range of lenses for EOS cameras - EF Lenses - Canon UK

there's 1 on ebay now. buy it now £185, but it's a non-canon battery grip. however, not in a big hurry, so will see what comes up in the next week or 2.

what i,m saying is that the 40d will accept EF lenses, but it's only the EF-S lenses that have the image stabilization, as far as i can see.
Image stabilisation on canon lens is with a designation of 'IS' be it EF or EF-S. Canon have two forms of image sensor size, either full frame (24mm film equivilant) or crop sensor. You can fit EF and EF-S lenses on crop size bodies but only EF lenses on the full frame bodies. The 40D , 50D bodies are crop sensor sizes so you can fit any lens type on them. Image stabilisation is great for telephoto lenses or low light situations, but depends also on what your shooting if you have a specific genere in mind.

I will shortly have a mint 50D and some lenses up for sale if anyone's interested (been meaning to get rid of my SLR gear for ages but never quite got round to it). No idea of prices yet!

I will shortly have a mint 50D and some lenses up for sale if anyone's interested (been meaning to get rid of my SLR gear for ages but never quite got round to it). No idea of prices yet!

have a think and let me know .

Reply to canon 40d in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net