Discuss Catching them out deary dear in the Electrical Testing & PAT Testing Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

O

oldtimer

All as you know I have added PAT testing to my services and as you know i hate it but then again I need to offer it so 10 months ago signed up for 2377 at night class at local technical college for £195 as I did not want to pay the Schemies for a wham bham 1/2 day course for £220 so 7 months ago I bought the KT71 bundle and personilised labels tweeked the docs I got on this site and a microwave tester and I am good to go hoping it will pay for itself within the first year. Well i can say no problem there then as all I need is 2 more jobs and its paid for (£800) great.

But my problem is when i do something I want to do it right so got a job today where there was 5 old table lights some metal some wood all with PAT stickers on them saying 3 amp fuse and class II only problem was they all had 13 amp fuses fitted and were all class I as the lampholder were metal and earthed so my point is missing 1 or even 2 out ok but missing the lot tells me it was either a sticker job or a push the button job..

No wonder PAT has a bad name

I'll bet there is loads of just pushing the button to produce a sticker without proper inspection and testing. All we can do oldtimer, is carry on doing what we feel is the right way.

The thing is I get a buzz finding these as it confirms what I have been saying about PAT testing and its good PR for the customer who stand over me and say well the last guy did not check the fuses or leads and what I am finding is the wrong fuses in table lamps and damaged cables on hoovers

Indeed Oldtimer, totally understand your good feeling bringing your knowledge and training to bear and letting those customers realise that not everyone does a good job even if they have the ' patter ' .
There is hope that our message will get through one day( though you and I may not be around at that time ;-) ) .

Well as I said I am taking the moral high ground I explain to the customer that you dont have to be an electrician to PAT test plus I played the game as PAT companies were saying you had to be C&G qualified plus I have fixed cost prices with regards to extra items replacement fuses and plug top I feel that I am educating them plus the look on 2 of them faces when they seen the damaged hover leads ie exposed live cables thanfully at the plug top end.

Forgot to add the only thing that has changed with my attitude towards PAT is ok dont want to do it all day long but it could become a good little filler and compliment to the business

Was in an ATS Euromaster the other day (½ price aircon re-charge £22.49) and noticed green and white pat stickers on everything in the reception area. My concern was all the appliances viewable were double insulated class 2 - no insp & test required in these circumstances however, three wall mounted convector heaters (C1) supplied from switched fused spurs and not one appeared to have been tested (two appliances were in arms reach of the public).

When will organisations wake up - cheapest will rarely be adequate let alone best.

Ignorance today is an excuse ie I dont know about PAT thats why I hire thing is I am mostly rental properties and the letting agent instruct me to do a full PAT test plus I dont think they do it every year as the ones today had 2008 & 2009 dates on them.

Also HSE new report does not help as it is as clear as mud as I say they should be more definitive with regards to rental properties

In terms of landlords, I believe this may go someway to encouraging pat compliance.

The importance of landlord PAT testing is defined in the Consumer Protection Act 1987 which states “If you let a property you are deemed as a ‘supplier’ (supplying goods to the tenant).Therefore applicable to the safety of any electrical appliances (portable or fixed-wired) made available for use by the tenant.”
Also Electrical Equipment (Safety) Regulations 1994

While out pricing a couple of jobs yesterday I went to a van for a bacon sarnie (very nice it was too) and got chatting to the guy running it. He told me that because he was moving it to a new address he had a load of forms to fill in for his permits and that he had to get his equipment patted. He said the guy who did it came from an hours drive away, took no more than 5 minutes to do the job and charged him £25 + a burger.
He thought he got a good deal but he did get some nice stickers

Yea the thing is I can understand someone who is not a spark doing this as its either minimum wage in a supermarket or make either a bit more doing PAT or making the same doing PAT but in half the time. Maybe I am getting old but I despair at the lack of effort given to a job me if I am going to do it i will do it right and this has kept me in a good living so no complaints.

The funny thing is PAT is only a small part of my business but with some guys it is their only business so you think they would make the effort and yes we can miss something out but in the job I mentioned it is obvious that it was a sticker and push the button scenario

Reply to Catching them out deary dear in the Electrical Testing & PAT Testing Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net