Discuss Cheeky or not? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

G

ga.electrical

Hi Guys,

I have had a few quiet weeks since christmas and assumed people were reluctant to spend what they dont have, however just as an enquiry i decided to have a look at recent planning applications submitted within my area and found that a hell of a lot are on there. Do you think it is a good idea to send out some info about the company see if i get a return or even call the applicants direct or do you think this is a cheeky thing to do? Has anyone else used the planning list to get work?
Cheers Gaz

im a trainee, looking forward to my future all the time, where one day i will be self employed,..i think your idea is excellent!!!...if the planning apps are public knowledge i see no harm, although, id start with post, people see phonecalls as intrusive,...send it out, it will cost you a few quid, small investment, personally if it was me that received it through the door, based on how you got the info about any of my upcoming projects, id be impressed...personally.

...love this idea, and i will remember it for when i am self employed!!

The idea does have some merit, but the feedback I get from customers is, "oh, yes I have out the planning application in and I have now been deluged with builders contacting me"
Possibly an electrician may be a change! Just remember that many others will be doing the same thing so choose your contact carefully and appropriate to your strengths. Post is probably better than calls.

Thanks for your replies, What i dont want to do is in effect steer customers away thinking we are being pushy as we would never push anyone into anything. As a company we have always been snowed under and as a result i have employed more lads to cope with the demand. We are still busy but not busy enough to keep all the lads busy 40 hours a week until may when we have a new development starting hence the idea to try and tender for local work. I wrote a generic letter last night which i have tailored to each job and sent them out this morning, i have started with ten and if it has a return i will send more. I appreciate your views and will keep you informed as to how i get on.

There are company's who make money by doing this, Barbour.Abi get all the applications and sell the leads to people. If they can do it can't see why you can't.

We've recently applied for and have been granted planning permission. We have had a few polite letters specifically referring to our planning app. All have been from builders! I should also add that we've not called any of them as we have people in mind!

Tight fisted git!

Send e-mails, if Aunt Davinia doesn’t have an e-mail account you don’t want the dinosaur at the wedding. (Unless Aunt Davinia is rich, then you send a courier with a personal invite.)

It's a good idea and not cheeky at all as long as you approach it sensibly and professionally. My old man's firm used to do this in quiet periods sometimes to good effect.
They would find out what was going on and who was involved, but usually approach the main contractor and ask for an invite to tender.

The bottom line:

Get the letter of introduction written. You may not be asked to tender, there’s every chance you will go on file for future projects. (Or in the bin, but it’s only cost you that extensionally priced stamp)

If you don’t ask, you don’t get.

The bottom line:

Get the letter of introduction written. You may not be asked to tender, there’s every chance you will go on file for future projects. (Or in the bin, but it’s only cost you that extensionally priced stamp)

If you don’t ask, you don’t get.
Giving advice for domestic's!!!! And we all thought house bashing was your pet hate! Come to think of it, have you actually done any work in a domestic environment within the past 10 years??

Reply to Cheeky or not? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net