Discuss Cheeky Request - North East in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

H

hightower

I'm wanting to build a little test board - little consumer unit, rfc, maybe a radial with an fcu, couple lighting battens/switches - so I can practice testing at home. Now, I've had a look and the cheapest consumer unit I can find is around £30 for a 4 module enclosure. I've seen an MK sentry 6-way for ~£45 which would be the perfect size for this little project, but before parting with my cash I wondered whether anyone might have an old plastic consumer unit lying around that they could donate to a good cause? You might have something that's been long lying in your garage, perhaps something that you've taken out of an old install, and has no chance of ever being used again, but is in good enough working order for me to utilise?

So, the cheeky request is, if you're in the north east (Durham/Gateshead area) and can help me out, I'm willing to come and collect.

If you don't get sorted with Lee , let me know . I have a grotty old board I kept with RCD and MCB's .
When I say 'grotty' it was in a chippy, it will clean up.
I kept it for the breakers because the were an uncommon make. (forget which)
I also have a load of brand new GET breakers from about 15 years ago.( supplied free and not used)

Ive got a little plastic 4 way I could fill with mcbs and a switch if you want, just pay me the postage costs.

Would an old 3036 board not do? Or are you wanting to put RCDs in also? I will be ripping out a 6 way 3036 when back from hols in a couple of weeks which you are more than welcome to mate.

Aye, overwhelming support you bunch of legends. I'll wait and see what Lee comes back with first and then take it from there. Thanks for all the offers though, very appreciative

Would an old 3036 board not do? Or are you wanting to put RCDs in also? I will be ripping out a 6 way 3036 when back from hols in a couple of weeks which you are more than welcome to mate.

I took out an old 3036 when I did my first consumer unit at the weekend (under supervision) - I could have had that but thought it might be best to get used to testing on something a little more up to date. It had some of these - what BS number are they? (BS 3871 when I've done a quick search) Didn't think to keep them for a bit play about with.

Cheeky Request - North East s-l1000 - EletriciansForums.net

Ive got a little plastic 4 way I could fill with mcbs and a switch if you want, just pay me the postage costs.

I'll take you up on that if Lee hasn't got anything - sounds ideal

Last edited by a moderator:
Just as a point of information for you.
You can get those in BS 60898. if you ever have cause to replace one

.http://www.screwflix..com/p/wylex-32a-sp-type-b-curve-mcb/87979

Last edited:
A good request,with some good natured feed-back:sunny:

Once you get "comfy" with your layout,start building up a supply of old cable and accessories. Skip dive for em' if you have to.

Also,cadge the "faulty" components,from your jobs,so you can confirm their fault,and introduce them to your test board,thus familiarising yourself,with the results that arise from such situations.

This was bread and butter stuff,when i was in my early teens,with "torture" being applied,to both wiring and accessories,using water,blowlamps,acid,etc,to see what effect these had on standard testing results.

Interesting results can be found,such as how some intentional damage,instigates operation of the OCPD,when you would put money on the RCD letting go first. These "larking about" sessions,albeit with live supply,can teach you one of the most important parts,of the testing job.

That is,in my view,to NEVER assume anything...regardless of common issues,other sparks opinions and results,and especially,a customers explanation of what has or has not ,occurred.

Good luck,Hightower,and safety accepted...have some fun! :lips2:

Ive got a lovely old crabtree metal 16th edition board that i did my test rig in the shed with, i'll chuck in a few offcuts of SY, YY and some 3c and 5c armoured you can have mate, got a couple of used but working contactors there if you want a play with them as well

I'm only in Newcastle but I'm up and down the A1 a couple of times a week so a meet up on the way past wouldn't be a problem, this is the board..
Cheeky Request - North East 2013-11-07 20.22.56 - EletriciansForums.net

Ive got a lovely old crabtree metal 16th edition board that i did my test rig in the shed with, i'll chuck in a few offcuts of SY, YY and some 3c and 5c armoured you can have mate, got a couple of used but working contactors there if you want a play with them as well

I'm only in Newcastle but I'm up and down the A1 a couple of times a week so a meet up on the way past wouldn't be a problem, this is the board..
View attachment 31862
That's awesome mate - Lee, is it okay if I take penny chew up on this offer? Just would save you having to post etc.

Glad you've received a positive outcome from this thread. I also have old odd's and ends, including boards (I'm glad I'm not the only one that keeps old crap that really should go in the bin)

I've got to the party too late, you could of definitely had some of my gear but you've had some fantastic offers above which i can't beat.

All the best. Mark.

Reply to Cheeky Request - North East in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock