Discuss clip-on cable marker in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
I've just purchase Hager Dual Consumer unit. I got the attached flyer 'Join the #HagerGang'

Sorry the scan is not very good, but I'm inspired by coloured L and N stickers, and clip-on cable markers.

Is anyone using these, where did you get yours from?

Attachments

• Scan.jpg
    227.7 KB · Views: 50
I tried using cable markers like these some years ago, when changing a consumer unit, to mark up the cables in the old unit. The trouble I found was by the time I'd wrestled the old unit off the wall and jiggled the cables into the back of the new unit, half the markers had fallen off!

If I want to permanently label cables, nowadays I tend to print onto heat shrink tubing with a Brother labelling machine. Temporary labels for a CU change, I just use various coloured insulating tapes, that get removed as the cables are re-terminated.

I tried using cable markers like these some years ago, when changing a consumer unit, to mark up the cables in the old unit. The trouble I found was by the time I'd wrestled the old unit off the wall and jiggled the cables into the back of the new unit, half the markers had fallen off!

If I want to permanently label cables, nowadays I tend to print onto heat shrink tubing with a Brother labelling machine. Temporary labels for a CU change, I just use various coloured insulating tapes, that get removed as the cables are re-terminated.
What diameter printable heatshrink as in looking at similar.

Currently playing with these;

I use cable label tape printed on the Dymo. It's a special flexible nylon tape that will conform around even a small diameter cable, ordinary polyester or PVC label tape does not work as a wrap-around label, it soon peels back off as it is not flexible enough. Of course, the nylon tape is twice as expensive but it is very quick and easy to apply without having to faff with a heat gun, and it definitely will not come off without putting up a fight. You can even pull the labelled cables back through conduit without risk of losing the labels.

My DeWalt 18V cordless heat gun arrived at the weekend, tried running it for a little while just to see how the battery lasted, pleasantly surprised that a few minutes didn't seem to drain it very much, still full battery LEDs showing (not very scientific, I know). I can finally get rid of the gas one I hate, and might even lose the mains-powered one as well.

Reply to clip-on cable marker in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net