Discuss Curry Chefs in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

sparksburnout

-
Esteemed
Reaction score
I heard on the news at lunchtime, that there is a crisis, with Indian Restaurants closing down 2 a week, due to the governments restrictions on non-EU Immigrants. Apparently the line is, that because we have got such a problem with all the dross from the EU coming over, we have to stop the non EU Immigrants, irrespective of their training or actual use to the country, from coming over to keep the numbers down. What kind of a useless, inept, hopeless bunch of ----ers of a government could preside over such a national catastrophe? Only Cameron's mob. Hopefully, when we all VOTE NO to get out of this nonsense, he will resign and we can carry on scoffing vindaloos and Tikka Masalas without any worries.

Living in a small Town we have 7 curry holes, I live several miles from Bradford the reigning curry capital of Britain and I live close to the Largest curry house in Europe and under dispute but claims of the worlds largest... gonna be many years before I run dry :).

I don't agree on this one though, that story is quite a few years old now and since limits were put on non EU migrants many courses have been set-up to train our own population to fill the skills gap, if anything, up here there has been an increase in Indian Restaurants as the Chef's now pass their skills down to the UK Indian community rather than try bring in more from abroad, the shortage is just the gap between stopping the influx and training our own.

I cannot see why you blame the goverment when we are forced to accept EU immigration regardless of numbers or who's in government here, its the EU to blame here for pushing all our services, housing, education system etc to the brink.. even with the best will in the world, no Government can keep up with investment in these areas while the net immigration is 300 000 plus as we just don't have the infrastructure and resource to keep up with the demand..., its not really fare for the reasons you mention but you need to excercise your vote here in defiance of the Brussel power hungry house with a Brexit.

As for the situe we are in, its not just the conservatives here, but Labour too who have alot to answer for, its Mr Blairs exiting legacy as he changed the very laws and legislation on Immigration from education to working rights largely in their favour - since then we got a double whammy with a decade of open door policy to all forced EU and Non EU immigration all slowly chipping away at our available services and housing until the net exceeded our ability to keep up which was starting to show in the early 2000's.

Living in a small Town we have 7 curry holes, I live several miles from Bradford the reigning curry capital of Britain and I live close to the Largest curry house in Europe and under dispute but claims of the worlds largest... gonna be many years before I run dry :).

I don't agree on this one though, that story is quite a few years old now and since limits were put on non EU migrants many courses have been set-up to train our own population to fill the skills gap, if anything, up here there has been an increase in Indian Restaurants as the Chef's now pass their skills down to the UK Indian community rather than try bring in more from abroad, the shortage is just the gap between stopping the influx and training our own.

I cannot see why you blame the goverment when we are forced to accept EU immigration regardless of numbers or who's in government here, its the EU to blame here for pushing all our services, housing, education system etc to the brink.. even with the best will in the world, no Government can keep up with investment in these areas while the net immigration is 300 000 plus as we just don't have the infrastructure and resource to keep up with the demand..., its not really fare for the reasons you mention but you need to excercise your vote here in defiance of the Brussel power hungry house with a Brexit.

As for the situe we are in, its not just the conservatives here, but Labour too who have alot to answer for, its Mr Blairs exiting legacy as he changed the very laws and legislation on Immigration from education to working rights largely in their favour - since then we got a double whammy with a decade of open door policy to all forced EU and Non EU immigration all slowly chipping away at our available services and housing until the net exceeded our ability to keep up which was starting to show in the early 2000's.
Mmm quite a long winded reply to respond to here DW. You are correct it is a long standing situation, but apparently, there has been a program of trying to train up existing Asian (or "UK") people to become "curry chefs", however, it is not quite as simple as that. You can't moan about sparky's needing an apprenticeship and then expect chefs to just pick it up with a "bit of training". It would seem the push to train home grown curry chefs has failed miserably. Your comments on the situation in Bradford are not representative of the UK generally, and why would they be? I am not sticking up for the labour party either, my view is that successive governments have made a complete mess of things for years. My initial comments about curry chefs was a bit tongue in cheek, but seriously, I don't think we have had a government that really knows what it is doing for far too long. Our country has been sold down the road and generally miss-managed for at least the last 40 years, in my opinion, by all parties. I am no supporter of Mr Blaire he was as useless as the current Muppet. At the end of the day we are ruled by public school ----ers who care nothing for the average man in the street and why should they, they have been brought up and educated in an upper class bubble that has no relevance to the actual world that most people have to live and work in. The politicians in Europe are no better, in fact as well as being divorced from reality they are clueless to boot. The sooner we get out of this farce and get at least some control of our own destiny we have no chance of anything improving in any way. Our services will continue to decline while we pump millions a week into the EU to build roads and bridges and god knows what else in all the other member states who have been unable to drag their own sorry arses out of the crap on their own merits for whatever reason.

I heard the reason curry houses are closing down is the original wave of Pakistani immigrants came here and opened restaurants, but as they are retiring their children have been pushed to do well at school and are going into careers as doctors, solicitors and other professionals, not lowly jobs as chefs and waiters.
If the argument for immigration is that "migrant workers do the jobs British people won't do" then what is to say the new wave of eastern European migrant workers, or indeed British people, can't be curry chefs? In this day and age is it really appropriate to say someone can't be a curry chef unless they've got the right skin colour, any more than it is to say they can only be a curry chef (or perhaps run a corner shop) if they are of that ethnic origin?

If curry houses are struggling to find staff, maybe they should start recruiting, even training, from outside of their own clique of family and friends.

Mmm quite a long winded reply to respond to here DW. You are correct it is a long standing situation, but apparently, there has been a program of trying to train up existing Asian (or "UK") people to become "curry chefs", however, it is not quite as simple as that. You can't moan about sparky's needing an apprenticeship and then expect chefs to just pick it up with a "bit of training". It would seem the push to train home grown curry chefs has failed miserably. Your comments on the situation in Bradford are not representative of the UK generally, and why would they be? I am not sticking up for the labour party either, my view is that successive governments have made a complete mess of things for years. My initial comments about curry chefs was a bit tongue in cheek, but seriously, I don't think we have had a government that really knows what it is doing for far too long. Our country has been sold down the road and generally miss-managed for at least the last 40 years, in my opinion, by all parties. I am no supporter of Mr Blaire he was as useless as the current Muppet. At the end of the day we are ruled by public school ----ers who care nothing for the average man in the street and why should they, they have been brought up and educated in an upper class bubble that has no relevance to the actual world that most people have to live and work in. The politicians in Europe are no better, in fact as well as being divorced from reality they are clueless to boot. The sooner we get out of this farce and get at least some control of our own destiny we have no chance of anything improving in any way. Our services will continue to decline while we pump millions a week into the EU to build roads and bridges and god knows what else in all the other member states who have been unable to drag their own sorry arses out of the crap on their own merits for whatever reason.

I agree with all you said - no further comment :)

I heard the reason curry houses are closing down is the original wave of Pakistani immigrants came here and opened restaurants, but as they are retiring their children have been pushed to do well at school and are going into careers as doctors, solicitors and other professionals, not lowly jobs as chefs and waiters.
If the argument for immigration is that "migrant workers do the jobs British people won't do" then what is to say the new wave of eastern European migrant workers, or indeed British people, can't be curry chefs? In this day and age is it really appropriate to say someone can't be a curry chef unless they've got the right skin colour, any more than it is to say they can only be a curry chef (or perhaps run a corner shop) if they are of that ethnic origin?

If curry houses are struggling to find staff, maybe they should start recruiting, even training, from outside of their own clique offamily and friends.
Adam, I'm sorry to say but you really do talk bollox sometimes. If its not hoovering lofts out it's idiotic remarks about curry chefs. For a start, most curry houses are not run by "Pakistanis", whatever you mean by that. Most of them, and certainly the originals, were started by Indian nationals. The fact that the "current wave of immigrants" cant become Curry chefs overnight, is the same as the argument that they can't become electricians overnight. It (obviously) needs proper training over a protracted period of time, as does any other proper chef or tradesman. The current owners have tried recruiting within their own communities, but along with all the other traditional trades, there is no proper incentive from central government to create "proper" apprenticeships. The current governments idea of an apprenticeship is a 5 week training course at Tesco's shoving pre baked loafs of bread in an oven and then being called a baker. The fact of the matter is that we need to import "quality" people from wherever the need may be, and not the masses of crap that the EU seem to insist on.

Adam, I'm sorry to say but you really do talk bollox sometimes. If its not hoovering lofts out it's idiotic remarks about curry chefs. For a start, most curry houses are not run by "Pakistanis", whatever you mean by that. Most of them, and certainly the originals, were started by Indian nationals. The fact that the "current wave of immigrants" cant become Curry chefs overnight, is the same as the argument that they can't become electricians overnight. It (obviously) needs proper training over a protracted period of time, as does any other proper chef or tradesman. The current owners have tried recruiting within their own communities, but along with all the other traditional trades, there is no proper incentive from central government to create "proper" apprenticeships. The current governments idea of an apprenticeship is a 5 week training course at Tesco's shoving pre baked loafs of bread in an oven and then being called a baker. The fact of the matter is that we need to import "quality" people from wherever the need may be, and not the masses of crap that the EU seem to insist on.
You're a bit simple really aren't you.

Come on guys be civil with each other, everyone has an opinion and debating them is what the forums are about, but we don't need to lower the tone with slating comments.

Play nice please, there is more than one way to disagree with someone and express your views :)

Come on guys be civil with each other, everyone has an opinion and debating them is what the forums are about, but we don't need to lower the tone with slating comments.

Play nice please, there is more than one way to disagree with someone and express your views :)
"You're a bit simple really aren't you." Excuse me, I didn't start it. I merely said I thought he was talking bollox, like any other person might, here or in the workplace. No need for personal insults, really.

Telling someone they're 'talking bollox' isn't acceptable, it's just going to provoke a personal response in return. If you can't debate without using derogatory personal comments then just avoid the thread entirely.

I read both posts and both are taking comments to a personal level and are slating that's not what we want to see on the forum as it never ends well, I'm not here taking sides or to listen to the blame game, I was merely trying to nip it in the bud before it went further and dragged the thread down - I know your OP was merely tongue in cheek but it does have a good political debating point underlying it and makes for a good discussion point if we can refrain from getting short with each other. :)

EDIT - posted same time as Marvo not as an additional post :shocked3:

Last edited:
I read both posts and both are taking comments to a personal level and are slating that's not what we want to see on the forum as it never ends well, I'm not here taking sides or to listen to the blame game, I was merely trying to nip it in the bud before it went further and dragged the thread down - I know your OP was merely tongue in cheek but it does have a good political debating point underlying it and makes for a good discussion point if we can refrain from getting short with each other. :)

EDIT - posted same time as Marvo not as an additional post :shocked3:
OK fine point taken. Actually, my OP was not particularly tongue in cheek, I think it is a valid point. I would say also, if this discussion was in a pub and a guy said he thought another was talking bollox, it would probably be met by further discussion. If a guy said the other guy was a bit simple it might be met with a trip outside, just saying.

Well, first of all this is not the pub with your mates. It is a forum that everyone can read. Individual little post at one and another is not acceptable, play nicely please. It is good to have an opinion but it can step over the line sometimes. No more insults please Gents.

As for the topic? Yes it is a good one. I live in a large city and within the deliverery catchment area of about 50+ takeaways. All of them are competing on price. Ask yourself this:- How much did your favorite curry cost you 10 years ago? How much does it cost now? I'll guess about an extra £1.50!!! I go for quality so 45 of them are out of the question. Even find myself driving to a curry restaurant sometimes just to pick up a good tasting meal!

This topic is also true for the Fish & Chip industry. 20 years ago how many chippy's were in your area? How many now? Ok it has a lot to do with peoples lifestyles changing and eating more exotic foods, but we all love a bag of chips dont we? How many chippy's advertise the fact that they are a family run business for over 20 years???? Not many,,,, sadly.

All said and done, Britain will never have a shortage of curry houses lol. The quality depends upon the head chef training the young uns. That can be said in any trade

Last edited:

Reply to Curry Chefs in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock