Discuss Design help? in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Ross1

-
Reaction score
Morning guys, I'm about to give some commercial design a go. It's a commercial job (existing building) which needs a total new install. It's being designed by a design engineer but I'm gonna try my hand at it.The building in question is derelict at the mo, its a 2 storey building with 1200sq/m with many rooms, that are gonna be used for many different uses.I'm looking for some pointers, like what are some of the big questions that need asking from the off.Also things i must consider like emergency lighting etcCheers

Well I'll start the list off

1. You need to identify what many rooms and many uses are likely to be commercial/office/retail/manufacturing etc
2. You will need to know how the system is going to be payed for, ie individual meters, or just the one upfront one
3. I assume the system is 3 phase, you will need to know what is going where to distribute the phases
4. You will need to sort out communal areas from business areas, or is this just one company taking over the whole building
5. Type of containment which will depend on your use, environment
6. Things like false ceilings, raised flooring, will determine what you use.
7. Lighting what kind of lighting. Warehouse lighting is different from office lighting is different from a manufacturing process lighting you will need some indication
8 Power again as above all different areas will require different solutions, will there be need of 3 phase supplies for equipment, will there be need of 16amp sockets are you going to use RFC or Radials
9. Personally I would not go down the route if I were you on alarms or emergency lighting, if this is you first "test the water" project stick with LV side of things
10. You could though design out of fun, DATA systems. CCTV systems Access control systems

There's a start for you

rossi have you done your city and guilds design if your taking this type of work on i would of thought its a must been put in similar poistion at work and im awaiting to start my design course

No farm haven't done design course, just interested at mo. deffo gonna look into it though.....must keep learning.

Reply to Design help? in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock