Discuss Discrimination problems in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

D

DIYer

Hi,
I have a 3 phase supply with each phase going to it's own consumer unit. There is a 3 phase isolator between the supply and each board. The isolator has 32a BS88 fuses on each supply. My problem is that the fuses in the isolator are blowing before the RCBO's are tripping on the single phase boards. I had one phase go down, so I decided to change all the fuses in the isolator as the original fuses were very old. This time a different phase has blown. My problem is the load on that phase is lower than that of the fuse in the isolator, should I have higher rated fuses in the isolator before each board?
I have some basic electrical understanding but thought it would be wiser to ask before replacing the fuses, any help would be very helpful
Thanks

Hi,
I have a 3 phase supply with each phase going to it's own consumer unit. There is a 3 phase isolator between the supply and each board. The isolator has 32a BS88 fuses on each supply. My problem is that the fuses in the isolator are blowing before the RCBO's are tripping on the single phase boards. I had one phase go down, so I decided to change all the fuses in the isolator as the original fuses were very old. This time a different phase has blown. My problem is the load on that phase is lower than that of the fuse in the isolator, should I have higher rated fuses in the isolator before each board?
I have some basic electrical understanding but thought it would be wiser to ask before replacing the fuses, any help would be very helpful
Thanks
What is the loading on your consumer units?Have you checked actual loading with tong tester?Perhaps you have a faulty rcbo which should be tripping and isn't--maybe you have an intermittent fault on cable or equipment which only shows after it heats up.ie,maybe you have a short circuit fault rather than an overload which you suspect at the moment.

There is 26a on the consumer unit consisting of one 20a rcbo which has two air con units and a 6a rcbo with an extractor fan. I have not checked actual loadings with a tester yet and all equipment is brand new. All three consumer units have been up and running around six months with no problems other than fuses in the isolator blowing.
Thanks for the reply.

There is 26a on the consumer unit consisting of one 20a rcbo which has two air con units and a 6a rcbo with an extractor fan. I have not checked actual loadings with a tester yet and all equipment is brand new. All three consumer units have been up and running around six months with no problems other than fuses in the isolator blowing.
Thanks for the reply.
Perhaps each of your air con units take more than 10amp.Is it the split type with an indoor and an outdoor unit (both single phase) or are they 3phase.I think you would need to check actual loadings under a variety of conditions,heating and cooling.You might find that they each take 16amps and problems only occur when they both kick in together,Though as you point out the 20amp should be operating first:confused:

Hi, thanks for the reply again.
I have had the installation tested today and everything seems fine. I was told it could be faulty fuses in the isolator, what are the chances of this? Fingers crossed I should have no more problems.

Reply to Discrimination problems in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock