Discuss disgusting in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

The thing is there are some people really desperate for work who would jump on this, but I do agree with you, it is disgusting...

Thing is, that's 550 a week for 18 months, ok minus deductions, but I've worked for that , and it don't buy new cars but it does pay the bills. And it definitely ain't the worst on job centre plus currently advertised for electricians, just seen £9ph

At the end of the day it's you're own damned fault!! You've let all these parasite organisations get footholds in the industry including the Agencies that are now dictating rates. Now the Government have jumped on the bandwagon, probably by seeing what the agencies are paying. Some of which are advertising jobs at £9 or less an hour!!

The biggest problem I see with this wage reducing trend is that pretty soon who will want to be a spark (training/responsibility etc)? when for the same money you can sweep roads (no stress/no responsibility)!

How can this ever be good for the country as a whole??

£11 per hour for jib approved really is p*ss poor as already commented on.
had agency ring last week offering £12 p/h for a lighting maintenence contract............
er , no thanks lol.

I've said it before but I used to charge twice that an hour to cut grass / chop trees down / fit shelves10 years ago. And it was less stressful and more fun. As stated a disgrace.

no wonder loads of sparks are legging it to Botany bay. Its got to be better!

Yes i just looked up a few painting ones with a better rates!

But come on let not forget the vigorous training the painters have completed to get to this level an the cost of the tools they are using!

Not to mention the risk/responablity involved Just imagine they put the wrong colour on the wall!!!! its DANGEROUS stuff compared to what us mere mortals can do.

I know what your thinking (if you don't like it then why not be a painter) because at the moment i have got work but god help me if it comes to a point that i will have to apply to this crap job opportunities. Three years+ at collage to get the same as a painter or less.

Ime sad to say £11 ph would be a improvement for me!
I said it on another thread but the company I work for seems to have a dim view of engineers (in general not just sparks) and there are admin girls on more than me!!

However upheaval is on the horizon and things WILL change!!

i knew things were bad , but looking at those jobcentre vacancy links really drives home what scant regard & esteem an electrician is given as an occupation in relation to wages.
it comes down to simple supply & demand economics , too many sparks drives down pay , and ( I ) firmly blame the part p domestic installer bandwagon for that.

if i could get the work i'd happily sack off sparking and become a tiler instead.
what can i say , i like tilling lol.

i knew things were bad , but looking at those jobcentre vacancy links really drives home what scant regard & esteem an electrician is given as an occupation in relation to wages.
it comes down to simple supply & demand economics , too many sparks drives down pay , and ( I ) firmly blame the part p domestic installer bandwagon for that.

if i could get the work i'd happily sack off sparking and become a tiler instead.
what can i say , i like tilling lol.

Tiling's great. Lets team up. Set up a registration body for tilers.

Reply to disgusting in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net