Discuss Diversify or Die? in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

D

Dave Buchan

This is mainly directed to all you self employed professionals out there, if this is not you feel free to read it all the same.
With the economic downturn, job losses and cutbacks, general feedback is that work is very tight at the moment. Have many of you had any thought about diversifying your business so that you aren’t hindered or suffer the same cutbacks as many other electrical contractors out there?
By this I mean offer a single point of difference that separates you from the competition.
Most of you out there will have a core of clients/customers who will use you for your electrical services regardless as you have gained their trust and they know what they will get for their money, but what about tapping into other markets to gain potential customers?
By incorporating new ideas into your existing business, you can make up for lost revenue due to the competition being so fierce at this present moment in time.
"Diversify or Die" appears to be working for those who are ‘savvy’ and prepared to think outside the box.
If I were to give an example of this we’ll take the domestic market; how many vans do you see out there with property maintenance advertised across them bearing an electrical governing body sticker or logo?
The majority of you reading this post will be hands on (your professional tradesmen of course.!!) so why not try the role reversal?
I can certainly tell you that the majority of homeowners will gladly stump up the cash for a new kitchen or bathroom, but a rewire even though it’s an essential service, will get left on the backburner. (p.s I don’t think you have to self-certify kitchens yet, but tell me if I’m wrong!)
This is quite simply because with electrical installation people can’t VISUALLY SEE what they are getting for their money.
The only time we will ever get a rewire contract is if;
A: I get a call because the customers wiring is totally deteriorated to the extent that they can’t sell their house because of this or the home has no power as a result of this (as the electric will be turned off for obvious safety reasons).
B: The rental sector, where after carrying out a PIR the wiring is deteriorated to such an extent that the landlord has no choice but to rewire if he wants tenants within his property.
C: Used to be property renovation, but the Sarah Beeney bubble seems to have burst well and truly now.
If you can offer a service that provides solutions not just a solution that a customer requires, nine times out of ten they will use you, as they don’t want the hassle of trying to find different tradesmen for the tasks required.
We as human beings are all guilty of this as we just want what is easy and convenient.
How many of you have two cars and use the same insurer or use the same utility provider for your electric and gas?
By learning and applying different building applications, you can gain a better understanding of the opportunities that may await you, broaden your market and most importantly INCREASE YOUR INCOME..!!!!

Reply to Diversify or Die? in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net