Discuss Does anyone know what this is in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Does anyone know what this is found when removing old mirrored wardbrobes
image.jpg

BS546 socket, originally available in 2,5,15 and 30 Amp versions.

The 2A version is often used to connect table or standard lamps to lighting circuits.
5A is not used much but can be found on narrowboats where they are sometimes used for 12/24V DC outlets.
15A is used extensively in theatres and similar places for stage lighting dimmer circuits.Although the 16A socket is becoming more common for new installations.

Not seen one of them since my Grandad passed early 90s. Those and those small round surface mounted light switches.

I’m sure you can still buy them new.
I put new 5A ones in not long ago…. 15 will still be available.

Last time I saw one, it was for a workshop welder

No, as I mentioned above 15A is commonly used for theatrical lighting.
i think dan was referring to the OP where they mentioned it was found when removing mirrored wardrobes.... maybe nothing to do with the mirror itself, or a light in the wardrobe... maybe just an old socket missed out being changed to 13A after the wardrobes were originally fitted

Reply to Does anyone know what this is in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

Does anyone know if the new Contactum mcbs fit the old ones . If not are there any brands that do ?
Replies
Views
Does anyone know what the cable in the picture is called? Or anything about it? Labelling on the outside is “E SPC Electric Cable 600/1000v” Its...
Replies
Views
Hi guys, I know the AC symbol but the one to the right i've not seen before or just not noticed it. Anyone know?
Replies
Views
Hi all - my daughter recently bought her first house and found this electrical device in the loft. Any idea what it is? It appears to be...
Replies
Views
Basically, I am looking to find out how much the industry knows about Cranford Controls and what they do. Anyone willing to chat to me about this...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock