Discuss Does it exist? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi all!

Anyone know of a flexible cable with a catenary line integrated? Catenary lines being types of 'wire' and 'cable' are making internet searches pretty useless.

For info, I'm hanging lights (Su sticks) where i can't rely on the cable as the clamping method is poor but it has a loop for a catenary. Trying to keep the lines as clean as possible so trying to avoid having cable ties running the length.

Many thanks

230v, ~0.2A feeding a single su stick (fluorescent tube in a stick, bit like a light sabre) hung at around 15-20m from both ends from above and at a jaunty angle. x35
Blimey SU stick, anyone else conjuring up any images of what it might look like? Sounds like an airborne light-up level crossing barrier

Neopren central strain rubber flex - Central Cables Limited

Found it in about 10seconds and sure other brands and types available, look for crane or control cables with strain line/wire.

These are integral and you will need to check loading ability etc and if your catenary loop is external then integral strain core won't be any good, you can get a pendant crane control cable with externally moulded steel strain lines but can be expensive and to be correct you require the correct crimping solution for the steel lines (Expensive if just a one off job)

Last edited:
Blimey SU stick, anyone else conjuring up any images of what it might look like? Sounds like an airborne light-up level crossing barrier
That's not far wrong [emoji23] [emoji23] , but think weird chandelier.

Daz - I work for a company that create bespoke lighting installations, we hang all kinds of stuff up! We're mainly centred around Christmas but this one's a permanent install in the main atrium of a shopping centre.

Last edited:
That's not far wrong [emoji23] [emoji23] , but think weird chandelier.

Daz - I work for a company that create bespoke lighting installations, we hang all kinds of stuff up! We're mainly centred around Christmas but this one's a permanent install in the main atrium of a shopping centre.
Don't mention shopping centres on here weve only just got over Xmas

Neopren central strain rubber flex - Central Cables Limited

Found it in about 10seconds and sure other brands and types available, look for crane or control cables with strain line/wire.

These are integral and you will need to check loading ability etc and if your catenary loop is external then integral strain core won't be any good, you can get a pendant crane control with externally moulded steel strain lines but can be expensive and to be correct you require the correct crimping solution for the steel lines (Expensive if just a one off job)
Top work, will need to find one with the catenary and flex running side by side but this is a great place to start. Ta! [emoji106]

All our designs go through a structural engineer and installed by experienced riggers so no problems re crimping/loading etc.

If you can find one for a tenth of the price you can have two gold stars [emoji93] [emoji93] [emoji6]

Its not a cheap cable and I've have used it many times, you may need to shop around most wholesalers can be hit or miss with costs, you either get a good deal on some products or extortionately ripped off with others so do your homework first if looking for some.

Last edited:

Reply to Does it exist? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net