Discuss Earthing. in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
So I'm currently testing a system and was wondering what earthing documentations is needed/sufficient. The company I'm working for doesn't have any records so thought here would be the best place for advice.

Using a low resistance ohm meter do I need to record measurements from the main incoming earth supply to each removable pannel, din rail, transformers etc and record the readings? Or is it sufficient enough to have a tick box to say all panels and components within the system have been tested and all results are 0.2 or lower?

Also is a flash test mandatory?

Thanks for any advice or help anyone can provide.

Do you have an electrician to mentor you when you are doing this? Or is your company throwing you in at the deep end? Kind of defeats the purpose of training

Being thrown in at the deep end. I have asked a few wiremen about procedures they've done at previous workplaces, they could only advise me on flash testing and what is deemed as pass and fail based on resistance readings. They were unable to guide me on testing the system as a whole and what needs to be tested.

I am guessing that this a machine or a device that uses power?

not a part of the fixed wiring of the building.

Being thrown in at the deep end. I have asked a few wiremen about procedures they've done at previous workplaces, they could only advise me on flash testing and what is deemed as pass and fail based on resistance readings. They were unable to guide me on testing the system as a whole and what needs to be tested.
Sounds like your company need to have a look at their procedure surely they should be helping you. Regardless, what exactly is it you need to test and we will try to help

Thanks, the company I am working for are currently undergoing a massive restructure of the business, the lack of procedures seems to be causing growing pains.
I am unsure of the earthing testing methods and how in depth I need to go. I understand an earth continuity test needs to be carried out, my thought behind this was to assign all panels mounted on the machine a number & to then record the measurement of each earth stud on every panel back to the main incoming customer earth supply and record the results into a table. However I also feel some equipment may also need to be recorded such as transformers.
What are your thoughts on this?
Is this a

Is your company manufacturing this equipment and you are being asked to type test them.

Sounds like this is a machine, in which case BS 60204 is the relevant standard, most likely BS 60204-1. I'll have a look when I get to work, see what it says about protective conductors. BS 7671 is irrelevant here.

Reply to Earthing. in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net