Discuss Economical DBs in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

davesparks

-
Mentor
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I normally only spec and fit Schneider Acti9 (aka Merlin Gerin) DBs and switchgear, but have a job coming up where the budget just isn't there for it.
So what can anyone recommend as a good quality but more cost effective DB?
It's a pretty simple job and only needs a single phase DB with contactor incomer and 14 RCBO outgoing.

My regular wholesaler stock ABB as an alternative, does anyone have any experience of their new range, it is supposed to be, and looks, better than their previous efforts, but some real world reviews would be good.

What about Eaton Memshield 3? RCBOs a lot cheaper than Shneider, the enclosures are much more robust as well, and the earth bars are in a sensible location not stacked at the top of the enclosure. I also don't like Hager 3PH boards, they are cramped and the enclosures are very flimsy. It's odd their domestic 'amendment 3' consumer units are far better designed and have a much more substantial enclosure than their commercial range!

What about Eaton Memshield 3? RCBOs a lot cheaper than Shneider, the enclosures are much more robust as well, and the earth bars are in a sensible location not stacked at the top of the enclosure.

I know what you mean about the earth bars, but other than that I'll take the schneider option over EATON any day of the week if I have a choice.
Eaton ruined it when the changed from MEM2 to MEM3

Used a Contactum 3ph DB on a job few weeks back.
Quite sturdy cabinet, quite impressed and relatively cheap board/components!

I ended up using the Square D option, the decision was made for me by someone else.
Materials cost was slightly lower than the Acti 9 but installation time was probably double thanks to the damn neutral and earth flyleads.

I normally only spec and fit Schneider Acti9 (aka Merlin Gerin) DBs and switchgear, but have a job coming up where the budget just isn't there for it.
So what can anyone recommend as a good quality but more cost effective DB?
It's a pretty simple job and only needs a single phase DB with contactor incomer and 14 RCBO outgoing.

My regular wholesaler stock ABB as an alternative, does anyone have any experience of their new range, it is supposed to be, and looks, better than their previous efforts, but some real world reviews would be good.

what application required a Contactor incomer?

what application required a Contactor incomer?

A remote switch to turn the installation on and off.

The installation is a stage lighting system in a school, the DB has 14x 16A circuits which feed the sockets on various lighting bars around the stage and hall. The remote switch and contactor allows all of the lighting equipment to be switched on and off conveniently without staff or students having to gain access to the DB.

I have installed similar (somewhat larger DBs) in theatres.

This was the first stage lighting installation I have worked on where we didn't install any dimmers, it is designed for 100% LED installation without any conventional dimmed outlets for incandescent lighting.

For the last few years we have been installing dimmers with a bypass option that allows dimmed cir units to be changed to hard power with a button press to allow for the increased use of LED etc.
[automerge]1589885909[/automerge]
This particular job wasn't a complete new install, but more an upgrade and rewire of the existing installation.
The weird thing for me is that I was involved in the original installation as I was doing work experience with the stage lighting company who installed it.

What about Eaton Memshield 3? RCBOs a lot cheaper than Shneider, the enclosures are much more robust as well, and the earth bars are in a sensible location not stacked at the top of the enclosure. I also don't like Hager 3PH boards, they are cramped and the enclosures are very flimsy. It's odd their domestic 'amendment 3' consumer units are far better designed and have a much more substantial enclosure than their commercial range!

I know what you mean about the earth bars, but other than that I'll take the schneider option over EATON any day of the week if I have a choice.
Eaton ruined it when the changed from MEM2 to MEM3

Reply to Economical DBs in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net