Discuss EICR Responsibilities. in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi Guys, I need verification as to who is responsible for 5year Testing & Inspection of commercial units. The tenant or Landlord?
Scenario, a unit/ building Electrical Installation ready for renting is Tested & brought up to a current edition of the regs before handing over, Probably a bare minimum like lighting & Socket outlets. The tenant then adds circuits to the original Installation, not always by a qualified Electrician to supply fixed equipment for the nature of the business. 5years later who is responsible for the EICR ?? Thanks in advance for your replies.

Hi Guys, I need verification as to who is responsible for 5year Testing & Inspection of commercial units. The tenant or Landlord?
Scenario, a unit/ building Electrical Installation ready for renting is Tested & brought up to a current edition of the regs before handing over, Probably a bare minimum like lighting & Socket outlets. The tenant then adds circuits to the original Installation, not always by a qualified Electrician to supply fixed equipment for the nature of the business. 5years later who is responsible for the EICR ?? Thanks in advance for your replies.
Landlord I should think

Depends what it says in the Lease, but if it's down to the tennant they would have to provide the Landlord with a satisfactory report as a condition of the lease.
I would also think that any additonal circuits would need test certs provided to the L-L if they've been installed on behalf of the Tennant.

Who are you testing for, the Landlord or Tennant?

They both have responsibilities. Landlord to cover his insurance and tenant to ensure Electricity at work regs are complied with.
What i tend to find is that the landlord instructs the tenant to carry out an EICR at their cost as the electrical installation is often a mix of landlord initial wiring and tenant add ons

Depends what it says in the Lease, but if it's down to the tennant they would have to provide the Landlord with a satisfactory report as a condition of the lease.
I would also think that any additional circuits would need test certs provided to the L-L if they've been installed on behalf of the Tennant.

Who are you testing for, the Landlord or Tennant?
I look after a Business Park of around 17 units for the landlord & being the Site Electrician, he asked the question & there was a situation where 10 years ago he acquired the site with units already occupied, some refurbished with new installations, but a few that have not been updated, so I insisted that they should be inspected & Tested, Landlord thinks it is down to the tenant, the tenant says why should I be responsible for an old installation that may be in need of a rewire etc. We are looking at the lease. I have worked for the Landlord for 10 years now &
although I am qualified to Test & Inspect with C&G 2391 with 17th & 18th Edition update soon, I do not belong to any accreditation body, I informed the Landlord a few times that it may be the insurance company that may require EICR's by an NICIEC Electrician. As the regs state that Testing etc should be carried out by a competent person It makes a waste of my experience & Qualifications if I can't carry out the work.
I await the reading of the lease. For now thanks, guys.

I look after a Business Park of around 17 units for the landlord & being the Site Electrician, he asked the question & there was a situation where 10 years ago he acquired the site with units already occupied, some refurbished with new installations, but a few that have not been updated, so I insisted that they should be inspected & Tested, Landlord thinks it is down to the tenant, the tenant says why should I be responsible for an old installation that may be in need of a rewire etc. We are looking at the lease. I have worked for the Landlord for 10 years now &
although I am qualified to Test & Inspect with C&G 2391 with 17th & 18th Edition update soon, I do not belong to any accreditation body, I informed the Landlord a few times that it may be the insurance company that may require EICR's by an NICIEC Electrician. As the regs state that Testing etc should be carried out by a competent person It makes a waste of my experience & Qualifications if I can't carry out the work.
I await the reading of the lease. For now thanks, guys.
You don't mention all your Quals in your profile Mate, a bit hard to respond.

Reply to EICR Responsibilities. in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net