Discuss ELEX Exeter - what to buy? in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

Rpa07

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I’ve missed the last 3 years so as my own boss I am giving me the day off to peruse, soak, pilfer and scoff (bacon butty - I’ll take my own butter and brown!).
I want to ‘invest’ in a cable rod set as that’s the only thing lacking in my life! I’ve had a couple of sets of ‘non glued, badly crimped and hardly indented’ rods (see what I did there!)
Most of the time I’ve left them in walls or chucked because the ends ‘slipped’off.
I don’t want to spend £hundreds as the biggest kits cost - do I need 12 metres of roddage?
Super rod, CK are they the same? There are other names I’ve seen.
The length of kits are 12 metres. 8 and 6 then you can buy accessories.
I’m well known to want value for money - not why the company name is Ebenezer I assure you BUT the show will save me a few bucks so what kit would YOU recommend.
Thanks for taking part.
Anyone else going to EXcite her (Exeter)?

you need 2 sets of rods. super rods of course, but also get a cheap set for those jobs where you need to rag 'em and possibly lose or damage.

you need 2 sets of rods. super rods of course, but also get a cheap set for those jobs where you need to rag 'em and possibly lose or damage.
I guess it’s never knowing when they are going to get stuck! I’ll always carry the cheapos.
Having never used the Super rods, I’ve read people raving so there must be a BIG difference.

I think I may need to watch a few promotional videos, you pick up the reds because you use or lose them?
No substitute for super rods, but I always leave the accessories at my derriere. So now I just pick up a set of 5 reds for 25 quid.

Don’t think I’ve ever broken one . The threads get a bit knacked. It’s generally setting them down and they fall between insulation in lofts. I’ve had crappy pliers and screwdrivers that always find their way home, but when I lose rods they’ve had it. Usually a pack of 5 will last me 18 months. The yellows I find too flexible and don’t need the blacks, as I’m only fishing with a maximum of 3 rods. The company sells some good gear, but stay away from the flexi drill bit spent about 70 quid on it couldn’t get it to work for me.

the LED on the end of a super rod is ideal for the apprentice to have an idea where in the thick itchy-poo he has to crawl to. pulling the rod out when he's half way there is a bonus.

I've had the basic set for a couple of years think it was originally 5 reds and one yellow with a few accessories. Found it to be adequate for my needs. I no longer have any of the accessories or the yellow rod.. so maybe it's time I got myself a new set too..
What day are you heading down Rpa07?

Checking prices on amazon, noticed there listed as klien tools, surely their not made in USA now , that blighter trump will sack the price up. Had a plumber hit me with a bit of waste pipe while I was wearing my hardhat, bloody ears were ringing. Wasn’t giggling when I rattled his shins with two rods bunched together. So also good for self defence.

I've had the basic set for a couple of years think it was originally 5 reds and one yellow with a few accessories. Found it to be adequate for my needs. I no longer have any of the accessories or the yellow rod.. so maybe it's time I got myself a new set too..
What day are you heading down Rpa07?
Kind of don’t know but I’m starting a job on the Monday which will take 3 days so if all finished and nowt booked in then Thursday with all the keeners UNLESS they are gagging to get rid of stuff by the end of the show that the prices fall - told you I was tight!

D7C5D417-180F-492E-8F6F-BE7E773434BA.jpeg
Didn’t go for rods in the end was a bit short of readies but did come back with an excellent idea from Boddington tools. Junior hacksaw with a senior blade to fit - seriously how flimsy are junior blades?
Bought some Boddington shears as the shutter engineer nicked mine a week ago even though the last thing I said to him was ‘have you got any of my tools’ ,
He had my draper expert side cutters too.
Anyway, I’ve moved on! (Wouldn’t think so though would you)
Big shout out to @Oli G who drove the yellow van at 68 all the way - even around roundabouts!

Excellent idea, the proper hacksaw blade, but junior size...I can see that being good for cutting mitres in wooden mouldings, as the junior blades are prone to "wandering".
On the rods front, in rough areas I use the 4mm fibreglass rods Mrs Pirate uses for making Roman blinds...they are long, and very cheap, and you can epoxy end caps on them with rings/hooks whatever you need...and if the rod gets stuck/lost...it's only pennies. Also good for feeding/drawing cable along joist runs under floors, and at the price, you can leave them in there for future use.
These are indicative, cut lengths, but she gets some that are about 5m long, sold rolled up, so have to be collected from the shop.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/?ie=UTF8...argid=kwd-336772471845&ref=pd_sl_4iw45p7ym0_b

Reply to ELEX Exeter - what to buy? in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net