Discuss Em/Lighting in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

J

johnnyb

Got a bit of a dilema boys and girls, went to an old cotton mill today that has 3x floors and i would like some opinions how to tackle this one.
We met there resident engineer whome is just that, Mechanical, and he has a visit off the Fire Officer, don,t ask me how they haven,t been pulled for this previous i don,t know, but they have NO EM/Lighting in the building what so ever.
This mill has a basement with cotton spinning machines in, and the grd/fl and 1st/fl they rent out to another company.
Yrs ago the F/Officer would explain to the customer what exactly he requires, now they want paying for that service and all the eng has as a brief is get it lit.
There are a few points here as i know we are up against another 2x contractors.
I know to cover every exit door and we are going to use those flood beams, the ones that look like 2x car headlights.
There are no trunking runs therefore would you.
1) tie wrap FP to old conduit runs.
2) would you use fire rated tie wraps.
3) would you put exits over doors inside and out.
4would you use non maintained or maintained fittings,(eng on about cost of electricity)
5) would you go off local lighting circuit near any particular fire door, or have a common circuit through out each floor. (via key switches).

You could use non maintained as its not a public building, and i dont see why you could not use a local lighting circuit, that would then keep the conduit/trunking run to a minimum.

Yeh, Jason, problem is there is no trunking runs, and the conduit thats in has been in since yr dot, you can see inside the conduit boxes old cables and there are no local feeds they would have to be run all the full length of the mill, which isn,t a small run either.
One of the problems is normally we would want to run a cable tray around but with machinery in the way and you cannot get a rig in very difficult, thats what we would want to do, but as we are against 2x other contractors do you think tie wrapping to old conduits is acceptable.

Gotta be honest, i dont see any reason why not if you can do it very neatly.

There is nothing worse than seeing round cables strapped badly to anything:D

Thats what we think, but its one of those innit, cause we are pricing against 2 more, you start tryin to think how would they do the same job, and thats one thing we don,t want a reputation for "being rough" as its the easiest thing in the world to critisise someone elses install, thats why we usually only specify off a proper spec and the everybodies singin from the same hymn sheet.
But this being a one off, cause we want the job, as there is loads more work there .

I had to put up non-emg double water-proof flo-lightings on a mill
where is this mill ? do not forget you have person working on machines the floor space ? ill take it to be 60m2x60m2
I would ask the fire marsal to pop round and see you by for you do any work !
then you can ask about fire precautions ! cover you a---

ps that was non-maintained emg flo-lights
think about the floor space , they will be more than 5 persons working there H/S
when I did a stair well in a old mill the fire Inspecter ask me to put up 2 x 36 watts non-maintained emg ! for smoke that will get into stairs if theres a fire , keep in mind the hight of the building
it depends what the fire Inspecter asks for / fp-200 /or pyro
fire Inspecters , dont cost a penny

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeh they do around here mate, they have a charge, infact they have officers doing the schemes but they charge if you want them for info.
Different areas have different criteria, i know they differ from region to region same as building control offices do as well and thats 2x within 10miles of each other.

Reply to Em/Lighting in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock